This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flame Diagnostics in the Combustion Chamber of Boosted PFI SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2007 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
The growing demands on fuel economy and always stricter limitations on pollutant emissions has increased the interest in the ignition phenomena to guarantee successful flame development for all the spark ignition (SI) engine operating conditions. The initial size and the growth of the flame have a strong influence on the further development of the combustion process. In particular, for the new FIAT generation of turbocharged SI engines, the first times of spark ignition combustion are not yet fully understood. This is mainly due to the missing knowledge concerning the detailed physical and chemical processes taking place during the all set of the flame propagation. These processes often occur simultaneously, making difficult the interpretation of measurements.
In the present paper, flame dynamic was followed by UV-visible emission imaging in an optical SI engine. The measurements provided detailed information on flame formation and propagation with respect to the level of turbulence in the combustion chamber.
The experiments were realized in an optically accessible single cylinder boosted PFI SI engine. The elongated piston of the engine was flat and included a transparent quartz window to allow optical measurements through a 45° mirror located in the bottom of the engine. Different boost pressures were considered. All tests were realized by commercial gasoline.
- S. S. Merola - Istituto Motori - CNR, Naples (Italy)
- B. M. Vaglieco - Istituto Motori - CNR, Naples (Italy)
- G. Formisano - Fiat Powertrain Technologies - ELASIS S.C.p.A. (Italy)
- G. Lucignano - Fiat Powertrain Technologies - ELASIS S.C.p.A. (Italy)
- G. Mastrangelo - Fiat Powertrain Technologies - ELASIS S.C.p.A. (Italy)
CitationMerola, S., Vaglieco, B., Formisano, G., Lucignano, G. et al., "Flame Diagnostics in the Combustion Chamber of Boosted PFI SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0003, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-24-0003.
- Heywood J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. - New York McGraw-Hill 1988
- Leduc P. Dubar B. Ranini A. Monnier G. Downsizing of Gasoline Engine: An Efficient Way to Reduce CO2 Emissions. OGST 58 2003 115 127
- Lin-Shu W. Shiyou Y. Turbo-Cool Turbocharging System for Spark Ignition Engines - Proc. of the I MECH E Part D Journal of Automobile Engineering 220 8 1163 1175 13 2006
- Bianco Y. Cheng W. Heywood J. The Effects of Initial Flame Kernel conditions on Flame Development in SI Engines - SAE paper n. 912402 1992
- Witze P. Hall M. Bennet M. Cycle-resolved Measurements of Flame Kernel Growth and Motion Correlated with Combustion Duration SAE paper n. 900023 1990
- Ancimer R. Jaaskelainen H. Wallace J. Experiments into the Flame Kernel Development in High Swirl Production Spark Ignition Engines - SAE paper n. 1999-01-3544 1999
- Zhao H Ladommatos N. Engine Combustion Instrumentation and Diagnostics. - SAE Int., Inc 2001
- Schießl R. Dreizler A. Maas U. Comparison of different ways for image post-processing: detection of flame fronts. - SAE paper n. 1999-01-3651 1999
- Bozza F. Gimelli A. Merola S.S. Vaglieco B.M. Validation of a Fractal Combustion Model Through Flame Imaging SAE paper n. 2005-01-1120 2005
- Hacohen J. Belmont M.R. Thurley R.W.F. Thomas J.C. Morris E.L. Buckingham D.J. Experimental and Theoretical Analysis of Flame Development and Misfire Phenomena in a Spark-ignition Engine - SAE paper n. 920412 1992
- Gold M. R. Arcoumanis C. Whitelaw J. H. Gaade J. Wallace S. Mixture Preparation Strategies in an Optical Four-Valve Port-Injected Gasoline Engine - Int Journal of Engine Research 1 1 41 56 2000
- Meyer R. Heywood J.B. Liquid Fuel Transport Mechanisms into the Cylinder of a Firing Port-Injected SI Engine During Start Up. - SAE Paper n. 970865 1997
- Witze P. O Green R. M. LIF and Flame-Emission Imaging of Liquid Fuel Films and Pool Fires in an SI Engine During a Simulated Cold Start. - SAE Paper n. 970866 1997
- Luan P. Henein N. A. Contribution of Cold and HotStart Transients in Engine-Out HC Emissions. - SAE Paper n. 982645 1998
- Koederitz K.R. Drallmeier J.A. Film Atomization from Valve Surfaces During Cold Start. - SAE Paper n. 1999-01-0566 1999