This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Safety and Profitability Aspects of Xenon HID Front Lighting
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 30, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The number and severity of accidents strongly increase in bad visual conditions (e.g. ). The introduction of Xenon HID Light (HID = High Intensity Discharge) 16 years ago was a big step in increasing drivers' visibility and hence road safety by offering considerably more light with even less power and much longer lifetime.
This paper gives an overview on HID technology and shows the latest results in research findings, where focus is put on safety and comfort aspects as well as on the profitability benefits for owners of commercial vehicles.
CitationSchlager, W. and Lau, C., "Safety and Profitability Aspects of Xenon HID Front Lighting," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4159, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-4159.
- Investigation on the influence of car lighting on nighttime accidents in Germany ISAL 2007
- Philips Product Information Sheets for H1 (9238873171.pdf), H7 (9240111171.pdf), D2S (9285013294.pdf)
- Schöner Hans-Peter New Prospects for Mechatronic Systems for Chassis and Engine; Technology Aachener Kolloquium Fahrzeug und Motorentechnik 1999
- Van Derlofske Bullough, Hunter Evaluation of High-Intensity Discharge Automotive Forward Lighting SAE-proceedings, SP-1595, 2001-01-0298 1
- Rosenhahn, Hamm Measurements and Ratings of HID Headlamp Impact on Traffic Safety Aspects SAE-proceedings, SP-1595, 2001-01- 0302 29
- Sivak Schoettle Mefford Driving Performance with and Preference for HID Headlamps UMTRI, proceedings 2002-03
- Van Derlofske Bullough, Hunter Visual Benefifs of High-Intensity Discharge Automotive Forward Lighting SAE-proceedings, SP-1668, 2002-01-0259 51
- Fortuin, Visual power and visibility Philips Research Report 6 1951
- Bullough Physiology of Glare 2003 TRBoard, proceeding
- Bullough Van Derlofske Headlamp Illumination and Glare: An Approach to Predicting Peripheral Visibility SAE-book, SP-1875, 2004-01-1094 181
- Hamm Headlamp Performance Specification: A Summary of New and Comprehensive Evaluation Methods TU Darmstadt, TUD reports 2001 381
- Peter Boyce Glare and Nighttime Roadway Visibility: Human Factors 2003 TRBoard, proceeding
- Gibbons Glare Modeling Formulae 2003 TRBoard-proceeding
- Sivak Flannagan Traube Battle Sato In-Traffic Evaluations of High- Intensity Discharge Headlamps: Overall Performance and Color Appearance of Objects UMTRI, proceedings, 93-03
- Kokoschka S. 1972
- Van Derlofske Bullough Spectral Effects of High-Intensity Discharge Automotive Forward Lighting on Visual Performance SAE-book, SP- 1787, 2003-01-0559 83
- SAE-standard SAE J578
- Aktan Fuat Schnell Effects of High Intensity Discharge and Tungsten-Halogen Headlamp Glare on Driver Looking Behavior TU Darmstadt, TUD reports 2003
- Bullough Van Derlofske Fay Dee Discomfort Glare From Headlamps: Interactions Among Spectrum, Control of Gaze and Background Light Level SAE-book, SP-1787, 2003-01-0296 21
- Van Derlofske Bullough Headlamp Parameters and Glare SAE-book, SP-1875, 2004-01-1280 195
- Flannagan Subjective and Objective Aspects of Headlamp Glare: Effects of Size and Spectral Power Distribution UMTRI, proceedings, 99-36
- Grimm M. Requirements for an ambient interior lighting system for motor vehicles Herbert Utz Verlag 2003 3-8316-0233-6
- Lamps for road vehicles. Performance requirements
- Philips Product Information Sheets for XenDrive™