This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Rapid In Situ Measurement of Fuel Dilution of Oil in a Diesel Engine using Laser-Induced Fluorescence Spectroscopy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 29, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A technique for rapid in situ measurement of the fuel dilution of oil in a diesel engine is presented. Fuel dilution can occur when advanced in-cylinder fuel injection techniques are employed for the purpose of producing rich exhaust for lean NOx trap catalyst regeneration. Laser-induced fluorescence (LIF) spectroscopy is used to monitor the oil in a Mercedes 1.7-liter engine operated on a dynamometer platform. A fluorescent dye suitable for use in diesel fuel and oil systems is added to the engine fuel. The LIF spectra are monitored to detect the growth of the dye signal relative to the background oil fluorescence; fuel mass concentration is quantified based on a known sample set. The technique was implemented with fiber optic probes which can be inserted at various points in the engine oil system. A low cost 532-nm laser diode was used for excitation. Measurements of fuel dilution of oil are presented for various in-cylinder injection strategies for rich operation of the diesel engine. Measurements with the LIF technique are compared with standard gas chromatography measurements. Rates of fuel dilution increase for all strategies relative to normal lean operation, and higher fuel dilution rates are observed when extra fuel injection occurs later in the combustion cycle when fuel penetration into the cylinder wall oil film is more likely.
CitationParks, J., Partridge, B., and Whitacre, S., "Rapid In Situ Measurement of Fuel Dilution of Oil in a Diesel Engine using Laser-Induced Fluorescence Spectroscopy," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4108, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-4108.
- West, B. Huff, S. Parks, J. Lewis, S. Choi, J-S. Partridge, W. Storey, J. “Assessing Reductant Chemistry During In-Cylinder Regeneration of Diesel Lean NOx Traps” SAE Technical Paper Series 2004-01-3023 2004
- Pfahl, U. Hirtler, W. Cartus, T. “Passenger Car Investigations of NOx-Adsorber and DPF Combination to Fulfill Future Diesel Emission Limits” SAE Technical Paper Series 2003-01-0043 2003
- Deconninck, B. Delvigne, T. Courtois, O. Dequenne, B. Mayeur, V. Obiols, J. “A New Methodology for On Line Oil Dilution Measurement” SAE Technical Paper Series 2005-01-2170 2005
- Fang, H. L. Alleman, T. L. McCormick, R. L. “Quantification of Biodiesel Content in Fuels and Lubricants by FTIR and NMR Spectroscopy” SAE Technical Paper Series 2006-01-3301 2006
- Eckbreth, A. C. Diagnostics for Combustion Temperature and Species 2nd Edition Combustion Science and Technology Book Series Gordon and Breach Publishers 90-5699-532-4 1996
- Hoult, D.P. Lux, J.P. Wong, V.W. Billian, S.A. “Calibration of Laser Fluorescence Measurements of Lubricant Film Thickness in Engines” SAE Technical Paper Series 881587 1988
- Shaw B.T. II, Hoult, D.P. Wong, V.W. “Development of Engine Lubricant Film Thickness Diagnostics Using Fiber Optics and Laser Fluorescence” SAE Technical Paper Series 920651 1992
- Frolund, K. Schramm, J. Noondby, B. Tian, T. Wong, V.W. “An Investigation of Cylinder Wall Oil Film Development During Warm-Up of an SI Engine Using Laser Induced Fluorescence” SAE Technical Paper Series 971699 1997
- Parks, J. Armfield, J. Storey, J. Barber, T. Wachter, E. “In Situ Measurement of Fuel Absorption into the Cylinder Wall Oil film During Engine Cold Start” SAE Technical Paper Series 981054 1998
- Tanaka, T. Fujimoto, M. Tabata, M. “Planar measurements of NO in an S. I. engine based on laser induced fluorescence” SAE Technical Paper Series 970877 1997
- Martin, G. C. Mueller, C. J. “Two-Photon Laser-Induced Fluorescence of Nitric Oxide in a Diesel Engine” SAE Technical Paper Series 2006-01-1201 2006
- Zhang, R. Wermuth, N. Sick, V. “Impact of Fluorescence Tracers on Combustion Performance in Optical Engine Experiments” SAE Technical Paper Series 2004-01-2975 2004
- Shayler, P. J. Winborn, L. D. Scarisbrick, A. “The Build-Up of Oil Dilution by Gasoline and the Influence of Vehicle Usage Pattern” SAE Technical Paper Series 2000-01-2838 2000
- Batteh, J. J. Curtis, E. W. Mrjoian, M. Revilock, T. “Modeling the Evaporative Emissions of Oil-Fuel Mixtures” SAE Technical Paper Series 2006-01-3402 2006
- Schwartz, S. E. Smolenski, D. J. Clark, S. L. “Entry and Retention of Methanol Fuel in Engine Oil” SAE Technical Paper Series 880040 1988
- West, B. H. McGill, R. N. “Oil Performance in a Methanol-Fueled Vehicle Used in Severe Short-Trip Service” SAE Technical Paper Series 922298 1992
- Hegazi, E. “Testing the Degradation of Lubricants Using Normalized Time-Resolved Fluorescence Spectral Subtraction” SAE Technical Paper Series 2004-01-2021 2004