This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigations on the Start-Up Process of a DISI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 29, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Understanding the processes regarding fuel injection, vaporization and combustion during cold start is very important in order to reduce the HC-emission of gasoline engines. To learn more about the cold engine start-up process an experimental study on a 4.2 liter eight cylinder engine with gasoline direct injection was carried out. Parameters such as injection and ignition timing as well as the injection quantity were varied to get information about their effect on the combustion process and speed rise.
Especially during engine run-up it is important to investigate every subsequent combustion. Therefore the engine was equipped with high pressure indication in each cylinder. The transient pressures and the instantaneous crankshaft speed of the engine were recorded by means of an indication system. Additionally a fast response flame ionization detector (FRFID) was applied to measure the transient HC-emissions during the first cycles of the engine. The pressures of every single cylinder were evaluated in terms of pressure maximum and mean effective pressure. Furthermore the speed signal was analyzed in terms of its increase per ignition. To get additional information about the combustion quality the emission of unburned hydrocarbons was analyzed.
Based on these measurements the optimal parameter setting for every subsequent ignition during the engine start-up was derived.
CitationWiemer, S., Kubach, H., and Spicher, U., "Investigations on the Start-Up Process of a DISI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4012, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-4012.
- Bielaczyc, P. Merkisz, J. Exhaust Emission from Passenger Cars during Engine Cold Start and Warm Up SAE Paper 970740 1997
- Takeda, K. Yaegashi, T. Sekiguchi, K. Saito, K. Imatake, N. Mixture Preparation and HC Emissions of a 4-valve Engine During Cold Starting and Warm-up SAE Paper 950074 1995
- Santoso, H. Cheng, W.K. Mixture preparation and Hydrocarbon Emissiones Behaviours in the first Cycle of SI Engine Cranking SAE Paper 2002-01-2805 2002
- Lee, S McGee, J.M. Quay, B.D. Santavicca, D.A. Engine cold-start testing Automotive Engineering International 162 166 March 2000
- Matthews, R. Huang, Y. Alger, T. Hall, M. J. Ellzey, J. Stanglmaier, R. Roberts, C. Dai, W. Anderson, R. The Piston Wetting Source of HC Emissions from Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engines 2001
- Stiebels, B. Schweizer, M.-J. Ebus, F. Pott, E. 2003
- Ehlers, G. Pfalzgraf, B. Wurms, R. Homogeneous Split - a highly efficient strategy to reduce the exhaust emissions of FSI engines 9 th Symposium “The Working Process of the Internal Combustion Engine” 2003
- Landenfeld, T. Kufferath, A. Gerhardt, J. Gasoline Direct Injection - Sulev Emission Concept SAE Paper 2004-01-0041
- Kufferath, A. Samenfink, W. Gerhardt, J. High Pressure-Stratified Start, the Better Start Strategy for Gasoline Direct Injection Aachener Motorenkolloquium 2003
- Nauwerck, A. Pfeil, J. Velji, A. Spicher, U. A Basic Experimental Study of Gasoline Direct Injection at Significantly High Injection Pressures SAE Paper 2005-01-0098