This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emission Characteristics of a Urea SCR System under the NOx Level of Japanese 2009 Emission Regulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 29, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to discuss future technical issues for urea SCR (selective catalytic reduction) system, it is necessary to assess various technical possibilities that would be applied to urea SCR systems which is capable of complying with future emission level requirements, for example Japanese 2009 emission regulation. In this paper, three measures (enhanced insulation on a DOC (diesel oxidation catalyst), aggressive urea solution injection and idling stop) are installed on a urea SCR system of a commercial engine system in order to achieve further NOx (nitrogen oxide) reductions. With combination of these three measures, NOx is drastically reduced to the levels lower than 0.7 g/kWh, which is a NOx limit value of the Japanese 2009 emission regulation. NH3 (ammonia) and HCN (hydro cyanide) are also measured as unregulated harmful components. Both unregulated components are emitted at very low levels, even though NOx emissions are lower than the Japanese 2005 emission regulation and equivalent to the 2009 regulation level.
CitationIshii, H., Suzuki, H., Hori, S., and Goto, Y., "Emission Characteristics of a Urea SCR System under the NOx Level of Japanese 2009 Emission Regulation," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3996, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3996.
- Saito S. Shonozaki R. Suzuki A. Jyotaki H. Takeda Y. Development of Urea-SCR System for Commercial Vehicle-Basic Characteristics and Improvement of NOx Conversion At Low Load Operation SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3248
- Van Helden Rinie Verbeek Ruud P. Optimization of Urea SCR Denox Systems for HD Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0154
- Sato S. et al. The Study of NOx reduction using Urea-SCR system for a heavy-duty diesel engine (in Japanese with English summary) Proceedings of Spring Convention of JSAE No.29-04 13 16 2004
- Scott. Sluder C. Storey John M. E. Lewis Samuel A. Lewis Linda A. Low Temperature Urea Decomposition and SCR Performance SAE Technical Paper, 2005-01-1858
- Suzuki H. Ishii H. Emission Characteristics of a Urea SCR System under Catalysts Activated and De-Activated Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0639
- Hirata K. Masaki N. Ueno H. Akagawa H. Development of Urea-SCR System for Heavy-Duty Commercial Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1860
- Suzuki H. et al. Evaluation of Ammonia continuous measurement techniques for automobile exhaust gas (in Japanese with English summary) Transactions of JSAE 36 5 75 80 2005