This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Prediction of Susceptibility of Small Aircraft to Pilot-Induced Oscillations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 17, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Indirect (Fly-By-Wire) flight control system for small aircraft has been developed at Department of Avionics and Control, Rzeszow University of Technology since 2000. Experimental SPS-1/A has been designed as an intuitive, human centered, simplified software-based flight control system. It would allow pilots with limited aviation experience to establish a safe control of the aircraft. Operator of the system is fully supported in normal control mode and all the properties of SPS-1/A are employed then. Second mode (simple CAS, Control Augmentation System) is reserved for more experienced operators for “more manual flying”. Third level of control should be used in emergency only, flight control computers are bypassed and control surfaces are deflected directly then. The system was tested on the board of PZL-110 “Koliber” aircraft in 2003 and next in 2006. First run of in-flight tests was preceded by detailed analysis of possibility of pilot-induced oscillations (PIO) occurrence. At first analytical PIO criteria were applied to the dynamics of experimental aircraft equipped with SPS-1/A. Next indirect flight control system was evaluated during pilot-in-the loop simulations and susceptibility to PIO was rated by pilots. PIO detector was applied for analysis of data collected during ground simulations as well as for data recorded during in-flight tests. Results of analytical criteria, simulations and flight experiments have been presented and discussed in this work.
|Technical Paper||A Simplified and Economical Aircraft Protection System|
|Technical Paper||Aircraft Fog Control Systems|
|Technical Paper||Integrated Reconfigurable Aero-Propulsion (IRAP) Control for Improved Fault Tolerance|
CitationRzucidlo, P. and Tomczyk, A., "Prediction of Susceptibility of Small Aircraft to Pilot-Induced Oscillations," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3804, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3804.
- Kopecki G. Rzucidlo P. Problems of Monitoring in the Fly-by-Wire System for Small Aircraft AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference and Exhibit 21-24 August 2006 Keystone, Colorado
- McRuer D. T. et al. Aviation Safety and Pilot Control: Understanding and Preventing Unfavorable Pilot-Vehicle Interactions Committee on the Effects of Aircraft-Pilot Coupling on Flight Safety National Academy Press Washington 1997
- Mitchell D. G. et al. The Evolution, Revolution, and Challenges of Handling Qualities Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference and Exhibit 2003 Austin, Texas
- Rogalski T. Dolega B. The Laboratory Stand Intends to Test and Prototype Control System for Small Transportation Aircraft International Multidisciplinary Conference Baia Mare, Romania 23-24 May 2003
- Rzucidlo P. Methods of Suppression of Pilot Induced-Oscillations in Fly-By-Wire Aircraft Rzeszow University of Technology Rzeszow 2005
- Rzucidlo P. Monitoring and Data Acquisition System for Experimental General Aviation Fly-by-Wire Aircraft AVIATION-2004 Conference Vilnius, Lithuania 9-10 December 2004
- Rzucidlo P. Laboratory and Preliminary In-Flight Tests of Electromechanical Actuators 2006-01-2414 SAE Paper, General Aviation Conference and Exhibition Wichita, Kansas 29-31 August 2006
- Rzucidlo P. The Detection of Pilot-Induced Oscillations VII International Seminar on Recent Research and Design Progress in Aeronautical Engineering and its Influence on Education Tallin, Estonia 11-12 October 2006
- Tomczyk A. Experimental Fly-By-Wire Control System for General Aviation Aircraft AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference and Exhibit Austin, Texas
- Tomczyk A. et al. Integrated Control System for General Aviation Aircraft (in polish) Polish State Committee for Scientific Research 8 T12C 049 20 Rzeszow 2003
- Tomczyk A. Dziedzic T. Some Results of the APC-1P Digital Autopilot Flight Tests Theor. Appl. Mech. 31 3 1992
- Tomczyk A. Gruszecki J. Preliminary Project of the Autonomous Landing System for Unmanned Aircraft 1999 World Aviation Congress & Exposition San Francisco, CA 1999 AIAA-SAE Paper 1999-01-5524
- van der Weerd R. Pilot-Induced Oscillation Suppresion Methods and their Effects on Large Transport Aircraft Handling Qualities DUP Science 2000