This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Developments in Full Toroidal Traction Drive Infinitely and Continuously Variable Transmissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 05, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Torotrak full toroidal traction drive technology has been proven in a range of applications, the most familiar being a V8 SUV where double figure fuel economy improvements were delivered in a durable, smooth and refined package.
Novel transmission architectures, new approaches to roller control and improvements in hydraulic design and operation have delivered significant parts count and cost reductions together with system efficiency, performance and package improvements.
The result is a family of new transmission design concepts in both ‘clutch start’ Continuously Variable Transmission and ‘geared neutral’ Infinitely Variable Transmission format.
Automotive applications are from high torque RWD / SUV vehicles to low torque FWD vehicles.
This paper describes the new designs, transmission layouts and roller control mechanisms, with particular focus on FWD / transverse applications in the A, B and C sector vehicles.
CitationBrockbank, C. and Burtt, D., "Developments in Full Toroidal Traction Drive Infinitely and Continuously Variable Transmissions," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3740, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3740.
- Newall J Nicolson D Lee A Evans S “Development and Assessment of Traction Fluids for Use in Toroidal IVT Transmissions” SAE 2002 World Congress March 2002 Detroit; Michigan; USA
- Hewko L. O “Automotive traction drive CVTs - An overview” SAE paper 861355 1986
- Brockbank C Heumann H “Delivery of IVT for a 5 litre SUV: Addressing the concerns of Geared Neutral” IIR conference “Innovative Fahrzeuggetriebe” Bad Mergentheim March 2002
- Murray S. “Integrated Control of the Torotrak Powertrain” 1 st Ricardo International Conference June 2000
- Lee A Newall J Masao G Misada Y Ono Y Experimental Validation of a Full Toroidal Fatigue Life CVT 2004 California, USA
- Lee A Newall J Durability of a compact Dual-Cavity Full-Toroidal IVT Variator SAE 2004 World Congress Detroit, USA