This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Shape Optimization for Weight Reduction of Automotive Shell Structures Subject to a Strength Constraint
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 05, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, we present a numerical solution to shape optimization problems in automotive shell structural designs subject to a strength constraint. Using the proposed method, the optimal shape can be obtained without any parameterization of design variables. With the aim of reducing the weight, a volume minimization problem subject to a von Mises stress constraint is formulated as a distributed-parameter shape optimization problem, or a non-parametric shape optimization problem. It is assumed that the design domain is varied in the tangential direction to the surface to maintain the curvatures of the initial shape. The shape gradient function and the optimality conditions are theoretically derived for this problem using the material derivative method, Lagrange multiplier method and the adjoint variable method. The traction method we have proposed earlier is applied to determine the smooth domain variation that minimizes the objective functional. The solution is applied to fundamental design examples and actual automotive components to verify its effectiveness and practical utility.
CitationShimoda, M. and Tsuji, J., "Shape Optimization for Weight Reduction of Automotive Shell Structures Subject to a Strength Constraint," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3720, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3720.
- Ramm E. Bletzinger K. -U. Reitiger R. Shape Optimization of Shell Structures Int. J. Shell and Spatial Structures 34 2 1993 103 121
- Rao N. V. Hinton E. Analysis and Optimization of Prismatic Plate and Shell Structures with Curved Planform - II. Shape Optimization Computers & Structures 52 2 1994 341 351
- Harzheim L. Graf G. Liebers J. Shape 200: A Program to Create Basis Vectors for Shape Optimization Using Solution 200 of MSC/Nastran Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics and CAE, P-308 1997 219 228
- Azegami H. Shimoda M. Wu Z. C. Domain Optimization Analysis of Continua Computational Mechanics '95 Atluri S. N. Yagawa G. Cruse T. A. 1 Springer 1995 177 182
- Shimoda M. Azegami H. Sakurai T. Traction Method Approach to Optimal Shape Design Problems SAE Transactions, Journal of Passenger Cars 106 1998 2355 2365
- Shimoda M. Azegami H. Sakurai T. Shape Optimization of Linear Elastic Structures Subject to Multiple Loading Conditions-A Traction Method Approach to Minimum Volume Design- Current Topics in Computational Mechanics Cory J. F. Jr. Gordon J.L. 305 ASME 1995 319 326
- Shimoda M. Tsuji J. Azegami H. Minimum Weight Shape Design for the Natural Vibration Problem of Plate and Shell Structures, Transactions of the Wessex Institute on the Built Environment 80 Computer Aided Optimum Design of Structures IX Hernandez S. Brebbia C. A. WIT Press Southampton 147 156 2005
- Shimoda M. Tsuji J. Non-parametric Shape Optimization Method for Rigidity Design of Automotive Sheet Metal Structures, SAE 2006 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars -Mechanical Systems, Paper No. 2006-01-0584 2006 483 492
- Shimoda M. J. Tsuji H. Azegami Non-parametric Shape Optimization Method for Thin-walled Structures under Strength Criterion, Transactions of the Wessex Institute on the Built Environment 91 Computer Aided Optimum Design of Structures X Hernandez S. Brebbia C. A. WIT Press Southampton 179 188 2007
- Sokolowski J. Zolesio J.P. Introduction to Shape Optimization, Shape Sensitivity Analysis Springer-Verlag New York 1991
- Haug E. J. Choi K.K. Komkov V. Design Sensitivity Analysis of Structural systems Academic Press Orland 1986 190
- Haug E. J. Arora J. S. Applied Optimal Design Wiley-Interscience New York 1979 315
- Azegami H. Kaizu S. Shimoda M. Katamine E. Irregularity of Shape Optimization Problems and an Improvement Technique Computer Aided Optimum Design of Structures Hernandez V. S. Brebbia C. A. Computational Mechanics Publications Southampton 1997 309 326