This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Quantitatively Augmented QFD-HOQ
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 05, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Quality Function Deployment (QFD) is a process to translate the Voice of the Customer (VOC) into the technical will of the enterprise. QFD is an integral step in the flowdown of customer requirements into the product system, subsystem(s), components and manufacturing processes. The House of Quality (HOQ) is a fundamental element of the QFD process, which provides a framework to relate customer attributes to engineering characteristics at the product architecture level. This paper presents the advantages and limitations of the symbols and weighting schemes used in constructing the relationship matrix in the classical House of Quality of the Quality Function Deployment process. The selection of the weighting scheme for function flowdown during the early design phase impacts the prioritization of engineering characteristics. A simple example using an nxn matrix is provided to illustrate the impact. A methodology is proposed to augment QFD-HOQ with principles used in vector matrix algebra and Analytical Hierarchical Process (AHP) to enable the selection of the right engineering characteristics.
CitationJikar, V., Cudney, E., Smith, E., Ragsdell, K. et al., "Quantitatively Augmented QFD-HOQ," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3705, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3705.
- Prasad, B. “Review of QFD and Related Deployment Techniques,” Journal of Manufacturing Systems 17 3 221 234 1998
- Khoo, L.P. Ho N.C. “Framework of a Fuzzy Quality Function Deployment System,” International Journal of Production Research 34 2 299 311 1996
- Swink, M. “Product Development - Faster, On-Time,” Research - Technology Management 45 4 50 58 2002
- Fung, R.Y.K. Tang, J.F. Tu, P.Y. Chen Y.Z. “Modelling of Quality Function Deployment Planning with Resource Allocation,” Research in Engineering Design - Theory Applications and Concurrent Engineering 14 4 247 255 2003
- Chan, L.H. Weng M.C. “A Fuzzy Model for Exploiting Quality Function Deployment,” Mathematical and Computer Modelling 38 5-6 559 570 2003
- Kwong, C.K. Bai H. “A Fuzzy AHP Approach to the Determination of Importance Weights of Customer Requirements in Quality Function Deployment,” Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing 13 5 367 377 2002
- Saaty, T.L. “How to Make a Decision; The Analytical Hierarchy Process,” European Journal of Operational Research 48 1 9 18 1990
- Piattelli-Palmarini, M. Inevitable illusions: How mistakes of reason rule our minds John Wiley & Sons New York 1994
- Forer, B. R. “The fallacy of personal validation: A classroom demonstration of gullibility,” Journal of Abnormal Psychology 44 118 121 1949
- Tversky, A. Sattath, S. Slovic, P. “Contingent weighting in judgment and choice,” Psychological Review 95 3 371 384 1988