This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Welding Processes for Joining of Steel to Cast Iron for an Automotive Axle Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 05, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Welding of cast iron to steel for critical application in automobile requires careful selection of welding processes, parameters and thorough validation of process as well as product. This paper describes selection of welding process and parameters based on laboratory trials and using the same to produce axle assembly in mass production. The welding trials were carried out with different combinations of heat input, preheating and post weld treatments. Microstructure and micro hardness examination was done in the fusion, partial fusion & heat affected zones. Based on these laboratory trials, suitable weld parameters were defined for welding of rear axle assembly used in a mid sized passenger car. The metallurgical and mechanical properties, quasi static push out test and fatigue tests were evaluated on welded axle assemblies to finalize the welding process. Non-contact strain measurement was carried out on the welded axle assembly using Electronic Speckle Pattern Interferometry to establish correlation with fatigue test results.
CitationVenkateswaran, P., Nazareth, V., and Haridas, J., "Development of Welding Processes for Joining of Steel to Cast Iron for an Automotive Axle Application," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3694, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3694.
- Arc Welding of Cast Irons Olson David LeRoy Metals Handbook 6 9th 309 319
- Effect of preheat on welding of ductile cast iron Materials letters 41 October 1999 20 26
- Welding cast iron Kiser Samuel D. FAWS, P.E. Northey Michael Canadian Welding Association Journal Fall 2005 1 4
- Holographic and Speckle Interferometry Jones R. Wykes C Cambridge University Press 1989
- Welding metallurgy of grey and ductile irons Vonight R C Loper C R American Foundry Society Transactions 94 1986 133 146
- Production welding of cast iron Kise S D American Foundry Society Transactions 85 1977 37 42