This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Slip Controller to Reduce Braking Distance by Means of Active Shock Absorbers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 05, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a control algorithm for semi-active suspensions to reduce the braking distance of passenger cars. Active shock absorbers are controlled and used to influence the vertical dynamics during ABS-controlled full braking.
The core of the approach presented in this paper is based on a switching control logic which sets the car's body damping to one of the two extrema hard and soft. The control algorithm is implemented in a compact class passenger car. Test drives on a real road, using a braking machine for reproducibility reasons, have been executed.
It could be shown that it is possible to reduce the braking distance by affecting on the vertical dynamics of a passenger car in general. This is the first published experimental result of its kind. The amount of reduction depends on the height profile of the testing track. On a road with an unevenness comparable to the one on a typical German Autobahn a reduction of typically 1.3 %, compared to the best passive damping, was achieved. On a very rough road, the average braking distance was reduced by 3.5 %, compared to the best passive damping.
|Technical Paper||Road Simulators: The Iterative Algorithm for Drive File Creation|
|Technical Paper||Laboratory Tire Wear Simulation Process Using ADAMS Vehicle Model|
|Technical Paper||The Biaxial Wheel Test Rig|
CitationNiemz, T., Reul, M., and Winner, H., "A New Slip Controller to Reduce Braking Distance by Means of Active Shock Absorbers," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3664, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3664.
- Reichel, Jochen: “Untersuchungen zum Einfluss stufenlos verstellbarer Schwingungsdämpfer auf das instationäre Bremsen von Personenwagen”, Dissertation at Technische Universität Darmstadt, Fortschritt-Berichte VDI Reihe 12 Nr. 553, VDI Verlag, Düsseldorf 2003, ISBN 3-18-355312-0
- Niemz, Tobias: “Reducing Braking Distance by Control of Semi-Active Suspension”, Dissertation at Technische Universität Darmstadt, Fortschritt-Berichte VDI Reihe 12 Nr. 640, VDI Verlag, Düsseldorf 2007, ISBN 978-3-18-364012-6, ISSN 0178-9449
- Yi, Kyongsu; Wargelin, Margaret; Hedrick, Karl: “Dynamic Tire Force Control by Semi-Active Suspensions”, 1992 ASME Winter Annual Meeting, Anaheim, CA
- Valášek, Michael; Novák, M.; Šika, Z.; Vaculín, O.: “Extended Ground-Hook - New Concept of Semi-Active Control of Truck's Suspension”, Vehicle System Dynamics, 27 (1997), pp. 289-303
- Nouillant, Cédric; Moreau, Xavier; Oustaloup, Alain: “Hybrid Control of a Semi-Active Suspension System”, SAE Technical Paper Series 2001-01-3269
- Hedrick, Karl; Yi, Kyongsu: “The Effect of Alternative Heavy Truck Suspensions on Flexible Pavement Response”, Proceedings, Second International Symposium on Heavy Vehicle Weights and Dimensions, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada, June 1989
- Choi, Seung-Bok; Park, Dong-Won; Suh, Moon-Suk: Fuzzy Sky-Ground Hook Con-trol of a Tracked Vehicle Featuring Semi-Active Electrorheological Suspension Units; Transactions of the ASME; Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control; March 2002, Vol. 124; pp. 150-157
- Redlich, P.; Wallentowitz, H.: Vehicle Dynamics with Adaptive or Semi-Active Sus-pension Systems - Demands on Hardware and Software; International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control, AVEC, Tsukuba, Japan, 24.-28. October 1994
- Alberti, Volker: Möglichkeiten der adaptiven Fahrwerksdämpfung im Kraftfahrzeug; ATZ Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift 93 (1991) 5, pp. 282-293
- El-Demerdash, S. M.: Performance of Limited Bandwidth Active Suspension Based on a Half Car Model; in Electronic Steering and Suspensions Systems; SAE 1999, pp. 251-260
- Yi, Kyongsu; Wargelin, Margaret; Hedrick, Karl: Dynamic Tire Force Control By Semi-Active Suspensions; 1992 ASME Winter Annual Meeting, Anaheim, CA, USA, November 1992
- Valášek, Michael; Kortüm, Willi; Šika, Zbynek; Magdolen, L'uboš; Vaculín, Ondrej: Development of semi-active road-friendly truck suspensions; Control Engineering Practice 6 (1998), pp. 735-744
- Niemz, Tobias; Winner, Hermann: Reducing RMS on wheel load in ABS-braking situations by control of semi-active suspension; proceedings of ESDA 2006, 8th Bien-nial ASME Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis, July 4-7, 2006, Torino, Italy