This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Preview Suspension Control for a Full Tracked Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 05, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, preview control algorithms for the active and semi-active suspension systems of a full tracked vehicle are designed based on a 3-D.O.F model and evaluated. The main issue of this study is to make the ride comfort characteristics of a fast moving tracked vehicle better to keep an operator's driving capability. Since road wheels almost trace the profiles of the road surface as long as the track doesn't depart from the ground, the preview information can be obtained by measuring only the absolute position or velocity of the first road wheel. Simulation results show that the performance of the sky-hook suspension system almost follows that of full state feedback suspension system and the on-off semi-active system carries out remarkable performance with the combination of 12 on-off semi-active suspension units. The results simulated with 1st and 2nd weighting sets mean that the suspension system combined with the soft type of inner suspension and hard type of outer suspension can carry out better ride comfort characteristics than that with identical suspensions. Frequency response curves to four types of inputs, such as heaving, pitching, rolling, and warping inputs, also demonstrate the merits of preview control in ride comfort.
CitationYoun, I., Lee, S., Uddin, N., and Tomizuka, M., "Preview Suspension Control for a Full Tracked Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3662, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3662.
- Chalasani, R.M. “Ride Performance Potential of Active Suspension System - PART II: Comprehensive Analysis Based on A Full-Car Model” ASME Monograph 80 205 234 1986
- Hac, A. Youn, I. “Optimal Design of Active and Semi-Active Suspensions including Time Delays and Preview” Trans. ASME J. Vibration and Acoustics 115 4 498 508 1993
- Sandu, C. Freeman, J. S. “Military tracked vehicle model. Part I: multibody dynamic formulation” Int. J. Vehicle Systems Modeling and Testing 1 1 2 3 48 67 2005
- Sandu, C. Freeman, J. S. “Military tracked vehicle model. Part II: case study” Int. J. Vehicle Systems Modeling and Testing 1 1 2 3 216 230 2005
- Tomizuka, M “Optimum linear preview control with application to vehicle suspension” Trans. ASME J. Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control 309 315 1976
- Yamakawa, J. Watanabe, K. “A spatial motion analysis model of tracked vehicles with torsion bar type suspension” Journal of Terramechanics 41 113 126 2004
- Youn, I. Lee, S. Tomizuka, M. “Optimal Preview Control of Tracked Vehicle Suspension Systems” Int. J. Automotive Technology 7 4 469 475 2006
- Youn, I. Im, J. Tomizuka, M. ‘Level and attitude control of the active suspension system with integral and derivative action” Vehicle System Dynamics 44 9 659 674 2006