This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experiments in Dual Fuelling a Compression Ignition Engine by Injecting Di-Methyl Ether as a Pilot Fuel to Ignite Varying Quantities of Natural Gas
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 05, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this work, we examine the viability of using varying quantities of natural gas and di-methyl ether in a dual-fuelling regime for compression ignition engines. This particular regime involves injecting a small (pilot) quantity of di-methyl ether directly into an engine's combustion chamber to ignite a quantity of natural gas and air induced by the engine on the intake stroke. Of interest are measurements of emissions, estimates of ignition delay times, calculations of the rates at which energy is released within the combustion chamber and thermal efficiency as the ratio of natural gas to di-methyl ether is varied.
CitationOlsen, J., Crookes, R., and Bob-Manuel, K., "Experiments in Dual Fuelling a Compression Ignition Engine by Injecting Di-Methyl Ether as a Pilot Fuel to Ignite Varying Quantities of Natural Gas," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3624, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3624.
- Sorensen S. C. 2001 Di-methyl ether in diesel engines: Progress and perspectives ASME Journal of engineering for gas turbines and power 123 652 658
- Semelsberger T. A. Borup R. L. Greene H. L. 2006 Di-methyl ether (DME) as an alternative fuel Journal of Power Sources 156 497 511
- Curran H. J. Pitz W. J. Westbrook C. K. Dagaut P. Boettner J, -C Cathonnet M, 1997 A wide range modelling study of di-methyl ether oxidation Int J. Chem. Kinet 30 229 241
- Karim G. A. 2003 Combustion in gas fuelled compression ignition engines of the dual fuel type ASME Journal of engineering for gas turbines and power 125 827 836
- Attar A. A. Karim G. A. 2003 Knock rating of gaseous fuels ASME Journal of engineering for gas turbines and power 125 500 504
- Pahl G. 2005 Biodiesel, Growing a new energy economy Chelsea Green Publishing Company
- Heywood J. B. 1988 Internal combustion engine fundamentals McGraw Hill
- Tickell J. 2003 From the fryer to the fuel tank, The complete guide to using vegetable oil as an alternative fuel Joshua Tickell Publications
- Crookes R. J. Bob-Manuel K. D. H. Olsen J. 2007 Renewable fuelling of a diesel engine in single and dual fuel operation Proc. 6 th Int Colloquium, Fuels 2007 31 42
- Pearce F. 2006 Fuels Gold, Are biofuels really the greenhouse-busting answer to our energy woes 23 9 07 36 41
- Quantifying energy, BP statistical review of world energy June 2006
- Kiannejad F. 1991 Queen Mary College, University of London
- Ferguson C. R. Kirkpatrick A. T. 2001 Internal combustion engines 2nd John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Gerald C. F. Wheatley P. O. 1989 Applied Numerical Analysis 4th Addison Wesley