This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Preliminary Investigation of the Impact of Flight-Path Variability of Icing Conditions Upon the Critical Ice Shape
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Cranfield Icing Research Tunnel was used to carry out a preliminary study whose objective was to identify whether or not the introduction of flight-path variability could generate accretions notably different to the critical ice shape. A reference (critical) ice shape was generated under conditions obtained from Appendix C before variability was applied, firstly to LWC and secondly to temperature. The approach is presented and selected results are introduced in this paper. Results show that ice accretions produced under variable conditions can be notably different to the reference profile, and are potentially more detrimental aerodynamically.
CitationStanfield, R. and Hammond, D., "Preliminary Investigation of the Impact of Flight-Path Variability of Icing Conditions Upon the Critical Ice Shape," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3333, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3333.
- Yoeman, K. 1989 Selection of the Critical Icing/flight Case for an Unprotected Airfoil 27 th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Reno, Nevada January 9-12
- Parkins, D.C. 2007 Developing Critical Ice Shapes for Use in Aircraft Development and Certification 45 th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibition Reno, Nevada January 8-11
- Miller, D.R. Potapczuk, M.G. Langhals, T.J. 2005 Preliminary Investigation of Ice Shape Sensitivity to Parameter Variations 43 rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibition Reno, Nevada January 10-13
- Miller, D.R. Potapczuk, M.G. Langhals, T.J. 2006 Additional Investigations of Ice Shape Sensitivity to Parameter Variations 44 th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibition Reno, Nevada January 9-123
- Jameson, A.R. Kostinski, A.B. 2000 The Effect of Stochastic Cloud Structure on the Icing Process Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 57 17 2283 2891
- Schumann, T.E.W. 1938 The Theory of Hailstone Formation Quarterly journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 64 3 21
- Ludlum, F.H. 1958 The Hail Problem Nublia 1 12 96
- Hoffmann, H-E. Roth, R. 1989 Cloudphysical parameters in dependence on height above cloud base in different clouds Meteorological Atmospheric Physics 41 247 254
- Hoffmann, H-E. 1990 A Documentation of Vertical and Horizontal Aircraft Soundings of Icing Relevant Cloudphysical Parameters 76 th AGARD Symposium of Propulsion and Energetics Brussels, Belgium 8-12 October
- Ryerson, C.C. Melloh, R.A. Koenig, G.G. 2002 Clustering of Cold Cloud Microphysical Properties 11 th Conference on Cloud Physics
- Kline, D.B. 1948 Investigation of Meteorological Conditions Associated with Aircraft Icing in Layer-Type Clouds NACA-TN-1793.
- Jones, A.R. Lewis, W. 1949 Recommended Values of Meteorological Factors to be Considered in the Design of Aircraft Ice-Prevention Equipment NACA-TN-1855.
- Miller, D. Ratvasky, T. Bernstein, B. McDonough, F. Strapp, W. 1998 NASA/FAA/NCAR Supercooled Large Droplet Icing Flight Research: Summary of Winter 96-97 Flight Operations 36 th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibition Reno, Nevada January 12-15
- Hammond, D. Luxford, G. Ivey, P. 2003 The Cranfield Icing Tunnel 41 st AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibition Reno, Nevada January
- Trebble, W.J.G. 1985 Low-Speed Wind-Tunnel Tests on the X-Rae 2 Unmanned Aircraft in the RAE 24ft Wind Tunnel RAE-TM-Aero-2048 .