This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Swept Wing Icing Physics Studies at NASA Glenn Research Center 1990-2006
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A chronological review of the swept icing physics research work done at NASA Glenn Research Center from 1990 to 2006 is presented. The research work in the following areas is discussed: the initial studies to determine the type of ice accretions formed on swept wings at glaze ice conditions; the research to understand the mechanism of scallop formation; the parametric studies to determine the effect of sweep angle, velocity, temperature and LWC; the first study of scallop formation in natural icing conditions; the study of aerodynamic effects of 3D ice accretions; the modeling of heat transfer over large roughness elements leading to scallop formation; the development of scallop tips and feathers from roughness elements; the conceptual model that was adopted and is being used to plan future research work.
CitationVargas, M., "Swept Wing Icing Physics Studies at NASA Glenn Research Center 1990-2006," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3332, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3332.
- Reehorst A. L. “Prediction of Ice Accretion on a Swept NACA 0012 Airfoil and Comparisons to Flight Test Results” AIAA 92-0043 Jan. 1992
- Hansman R. Breuer K. Hazan D. Reehorst A. L. Vargas M. “Close-up Analysis of Aircraft Ice Accretion” AIAA 93-0029 Jan. 1993
- Reehorst A. L. Ratvasky T. P. Sims J. “Close-up Analysis of Inflight Ice Accretion” AIAA 94-0804 Jan. 1994
- Vargas M. “Ice Accretion on Swept Wings at Glaze Ice Conditions” Ph.D. Dissertation, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Dept. Case Western Reserve University Cleveland, OH 1998
- Vargas M. Reshotko E. “Physical Mechanisms of Glaze Ice Scallop Formations on Swept Wings” AIAA 98-0491 and NASA TM-1998-206616 Jan. 1998
- Olsen W. Walker E. “Experimental Evidence for Modifying the Current Physical Model for Ice Accretion on Aircraft Surfaces” NASA TM-87184 1986
- Vargas M. Reshotko E. “Parametric Experimental Study of the Formation of Glaze Ice Shapes on Swept Wings” AIAA 99-0094 Jan. 1999
- Vargas M. Reshotko E. “LWC and Temperature Effects on Ice Accretion Formation on Swept Wings at Glaze Ice Conditions” AIAA 2000-00483 Jan. 2000
- Vargas M. Giriunas J. Ratvasky T. “Ice Accretion Formations on a NACA 0012 Swept Wing Tip in Natural Icing Conditions” AIAA 2002-0244 Jan. 2002
- The research program was lead by Riley James Dr. Hill Eugene Mr. The NASA team members were Vargas Mario Dr. Potapczuk Mark Dr. Addy Harold Mr. Sheldon David Mr. Giriunas Julius Mr. Brinker David Mr. The Wichita State University team members were Papadakis Michael Dr. Yeong Hsiung-Wei Dr. Won See-Cheuk Dr.
- Vargas M. Papadakis M. Potapczuk M. Addy H. Sheldon D. Giriunas J. “Ice Accretions on a Swept GLC-305 Airfoil” SAE Paper 02GAA-43 and NASA TM-2002-211557 April 2002
- Potapczuk M. Papadakis M. Vargas M. “LEWICE Modeling of Swept Wing Ice Accretions” AIAA 2003-6565 Jan. 2003
- Papadakis M. Yeong H. W. Won S. C. Vargas M. Potapczuk M. “Aerodynamic Performance of a Swept Wing with Ice Accretions” AIAA 2003-0731 Jan. 2003
- Papadakis M. Yeong H. W. Won S. C. Vargas M. Potapczuk M. “Experimental Investigation of Ice Accretion Effects on a Swept Wing” FAA Contractor Report 2003
- McClain S. T. Vargas M. Kreeger R. E. Tsao J. C. “Heat Transfer from Protuberances and Roughness Elements in Laminar and Turbulent Flow: A Reexamination of Henry, et al.” 2006
- Kreeger R. E. Vargas M. McClain S. T. “Heat Transfer Over Roughness Elements Larger than the Boundary Layer” AIAA 2005-5186 June 2005
- Vargas M. Jen-Ching Tsao “Observations on the Growth of Roughness Elements into Icing Feathers” AIAA-2007-0900 January 2007
- Hedde T. Guffond D. “Improvement of the ONERA 3D Icing Code, Comparison with 3D Experimental Shapes” AIAA 93-0169 Jan. 1993