This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Review of Role of Icing Feathers in Ice Accretion Formation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a review of our current experimental and theoretical understanding of icing feathers and the role that they play in the formation of ice accretions. It covers the following areas: a short review of past research work related to icing feathers; a discussion of the physical characteristics and terminology used in describing icing feathers; the presence of feathers on ice accretions formed in unswept airfoils, especially at SLD conditions; the role that icing feathers play in the formation of ice accretion shapes on swept wings; the formation of icing feathers from roughness elements; theoretical considerations regarding feather formation, feather interaction to form complex icing structures, the role of film dynamics in the formation of roughness elements and the formation of feathers. Hypotheses related to feather formation and feather growth are discussed.
CitationVargas, M., Tsao, J., and Rothmayer, A., "Review of Role of Icing Feathers in Ice Accretion Formation," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3294, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3294.
- H HansmanR., BreuerK., HazanD., ReehorstA. L., and VargasM., “Close-up Analysis of Aircraft Ice Accretion”, AIAA Paper 93-0029, Jan 1993.
- ReehorstA. L., RatvaskyT. P. and SimsJ., “Close-up Analysis of Inflight Ice Accretion”, AIAA Paper 94-0804, Jan 1994.
- HenryR. C., HansmanR. J., BreuerK. S., “Heat Transfer Variation on Protuberances and Surface Roughness Elements”, Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, vol 9, No. 1, March 1995.
- VargasM., “Ice Accretion on Swept Wings at Glaze Ice Conditions”, Ph.D. Thesis, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, May 1998.
- VargasM. and ReshotkoE., “Physical Mechanisms of Glaze Ice Scallop Formations on Swept Wings”, AIAA Paper 98-0491, Jan. 1998. NASA TM-1998-206616.
- VargasM. and ReshotkoE., “Parametric Experimental Study of the Formation of Glaze Ice Shapes on Swept Wings”, AIAA Paper 99-0094, Jan. 1999. NASA TM-1999-208900.
- VargasM. and ReshotkoE., “LWC and Temperature Effects on Ice Accretion Formation on Swept Wings at Glaze Ice Conditions”, AIAA Paper 2000-00483, Jan. 2000.
- VargasM., GiriunasJ. and RatvaskyT., “Ice Accretion Formations on a NACA 0012 Swept Wing Tip in Natural Icing Conditions”, AIAA Paper 2002-0244, Jan. 2002.
- Tsao, Jen-Ching and AndersonD.“Further Assessment of MVD Effects in SLD Applications”, AIAA Paper 2005-0072, Jan. 2005.
- Tsao, Jen-Ching and AndersonD., “Latest Developments in SLD Scaling”, AIAA-2005-5187, June 2005.
- VargasM., and Tsao, Jen-Ching“Observations on the Growth of Roughness Elements into Icing Feathers” AIAA-2007-0900, January 2007.
- Reference 4, pages 60 and 61, figures 127 and 128.
- VargasM., and Tsao, Jen-Ching, “Parametric Study of Ice Accretion Formation on a Swept Wing at SLD Conditions” To be published
- TsaoJ.C., and RothmayerA.P., “A Mechanism for Ice Roughness Formation on an Airfoil Leading Edge Contributing to Glaze Ice Accretion,” AIAA Paper 98-0485, Jan 1998
- TsaoJ.C., and RothmayerA.P., “Transient Effects in Predicting Bulk Surface Properties for Aircraft Ice Accretion,” AIAA Paper 2001-0677, Jan 2001.
- RothmayerA.P., “On the Creation of Ice Surface Roughness by Interfacial Instabilities,” AIAA-2003-972, Jan 2003.
- TsaoJ.C., “Cross Flow Effects on Glaze Ice Roughness Formation,” AIAA-2003-1219, Jan 2003.