This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Model Simulation of a Two Loop Heat Pipe Thermal Control System in Low Earth Orbit
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Loop Heat Pipe has become increasingly popular among spacecraft engineers for its operational reliability and robustness. At first glance, the LHP seems like a simple capillary-pumped heat transport device. In reality, the thermodynamics and fluid dynamics in the LHP form a complex system, especially during transient operation. The LHP performance varies with power input and sink temperature, but perhaps more importantly, with transitions from one condition to another. In addition, when multiple LHPs are thermally coupled, a change in one LHP can result in a detrimental effect on another. In this paper, model simulations of a thermal control system having two LHPs will be presented to show the system performance during the expected on-orbit thermal conditions of low Earth orbit.
CitationMahony, D., Hoang, T., and Baldauff, R., "Model Simulation of a Two Loop Heat Pipe Thermal Control System in Low Earth Orbit," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3236, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3236.
- Kaya, T. Hoang T. “Mathematical Modeling of Loop Heat Pipes and Experimental Validation,” Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer 13 3 July-September 1999
- Hoang, T. Ku J. “Transient Modeling of Loop Heat Pipes,” Paper No. AIAA 2003-6082 , 1 st IECEC August 17-21 2003 Portsmouth, VA
- Computer Code to Model Loop Heat Pipe Transients Phase II Final Report TTH Research, Inc. to NASA SBIR Office Contract No. NAS5-02121 November 2004
- Hoang, T. Ku J. “Mathematical Modeling of Loop Heat Pipes with Multiple Evaporators and Multiple Condensers,” Paper No. AIAA 2005-36942 , 3 rd IECEC August 15-18 2005 San Francisco, CA
- Hoang, T. Mathematical Modeling of Loop Heat Pipes Part II - Secondary Wick Analysis Proceedings of the 2006 International Two-Phase Workshop Maryland USA 2006
- Hoang, T. Ku J. “Heat and Mass Transfer in Loop Heat Pipes,” HT2003-47366 Proceedings of 2003 ASME Summer Heat Transfer Conference July 21-23 2003 Las Vegas, NV
- Ku, J. “Operating Characteristics of Loop Heat Pipes,” SAE Paper 1999-01-2007 , 29 th ICES Denver, CO July 1999
- Hoang, T. Cheung K. Baldauff R. “Loop Heat Pipe Testing and Analytical Model Verification at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory,” Paper No. 2004-01-2577 , 34 th ICES 2004 Colorado Springs, CO