This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A High Performance Miniature Loop Heat Pipe
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work presents the results of an experimental High Performance Miniature Loop Heat Pipe. The evaporator utilizes a wick structure with the non-inverted meniscus evaporation concept, which allows using high thermal conductivity materials for the evaporator case and capillary wick structure, and hence will further reduce the thermal resistance between the evaporator elements. The heat fluxes at the evaporator can therefore be significantly higher than that of a LHP using inverted meniscus evaporation approach.
Tests were conducted in the Material and Thermal Laboratory at the Canadian Space Agency. The evaporator heat input cross-section area was 2.4 cm2. When water is used as the working liquid the heat transfer rate has reached values as high as 215W, corresponding to a heat flux density of 90W/cm2 (temperature drop between heat source and LHP evaporator was ∼7°C). Working temperature oscillations (with amplitude ∼2-10°C) were observed for steady state regimes of LHP operation.
|Technical Paper||Advances in Two-Phase Loop with Capillary Pump Technology and Space Applications|
|Technical Paper||The Development of the Lead Free Carbon Brush for Starters|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Application Testing of Oil-to-Water Oil Coolers for Heat Transfer Performance|
CitationMishkinis, D., Wang, G., and Nikanpour, D., "A High Performance Miniature Loop Heat Pipe," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3196, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3196.
- Mishkinis D. Wang G. Nikanpour D. MacDonald E. Kaya T. 2005 Advances in Two-Phase Loop with Capillary Pump Technology and Space Applications SAE paper No 2005-01-2883
- Orlov A.A. Goncharov K. Kotliarov E.Yu. Tykina T.A. Ustinov S.N. Maydanik Yu. F. 1997 The Loop Heat Pipe Experiment on board the GRANAT Spacecraft Proc. 6th European Symp. on Space Env. Control Systems, Noordwijk The Netherlands
- Gerasimov Yu.F Maidanik Yu. F. Shchegolev G.T. Kiseev V.M. Filippov G. A. Starikov L.G. Heat Pipe, USSR Certificate of Authorship No. 485296 1975 (USSR Patent SU485296)
- Philips F.A.L. Grove P. Non-Inverted Meniscus Loop Heat Pipe/ Capillary Pumped Loop Evaporator US Patent 6533029 2003
- Belarusian Patent BY2407 Non-inverted meniscus Loop Heat pipe 2006.02.08
- Victar V. Maziuk Viachaslau V. Doctarau Anatoliy A. Rak “Miniature Loop Heat Pipes With Noninverted Meniscus Concept And Treatment” VI Minsk International Seminar “Heat Pipes, Heat Pumps, Refrigerators” Minsk, Belarus Sep 2005
- Mishkinis D. Wang G. Nikanpour D. 2006 A Laboratory Setup for Observation of Loop Heat Pipe Characteristics SAE paper No 2006-01-2170