This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Inhibition of Biofilm Formation on the Service and Performance Heat Exchanger by Quorum Sensing Inhibition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Shortly after installation of the service and performance heat exchanger (SPCU HX) in 2001, samples collected from the coolant fluid indicated the presence of nickel accompanied by a subsequent decrease in phosphate concentration along with a high microbial load. When the SPCU HX was replaced and evaluated post-flight, it was expected that the heat exchanger would have significant biofilm and corrosion present given the composition of the coolant fluid; however, there was no evidence of either. Early results from two experiments imply that the heat exchanger materials themselves are inhibiting biofilm formation. This paper discusses the results of one set of experiments and puts forward the inhibition of quorum sensing as a possible mechanism for the lack of biofilm formation.
CitationVega, L., Pyle, B., Roman, M., Alvarez, P. et al., "Inhibition of Biofilm Formation on the Service and Performance Heat Exchanger by Quorum Sensing Inhibition," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3143, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3143.
- Bassler, B. L. (1999). “How bacteria talk to each other: regulation of gene expression by quorum sensing.” Current Opinion in Microbiology 2(6): 582-587.
- Ghannoum, M., O'Toole, G.A. (2004). Microbial Biofilms. Washington, D.C., ASM Press.
- Hernandez-Gayosso, M. J., Zavala-Olivares, G., Ruiz-Ordaz, N., and Mora-Mendoza, J.L. (2004). “Microbial Consortium Influence Upon Steel Corrosion Rate, Using the Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy Technique.” Materials and Corrosion 55(9): 676-683.
- Hornby, J. M., Jensen E. C., et al. (2001). “Quorum Sensing in the Dimorphic Fungus Candida albicans Is Mediated by Farnesol.” Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 67(7): 2982-2992.
- Lewis, K. (2001). “Riddle of Biofilm Resistance.” Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 45(4): 999-1007.
- Leys, N. M. E. J., Hendrickx, L., De Boever, P., Baatout, S., Mergeay, M. (2004). “Space Flight Effects on Bacterial Physiology.” Journal of Biological Regulators and Homeostatic Agents.
- Mark, H. J. S., Michiel K., et al. (2002). “Cell to cell communication by autoinducing peptides in gram-positive bacteria.” Antonie van Leeuwenhoek V81(1): 233-243.
- McClean, K. H., Winson M. K., et al. (1997). “Quorum sensing and Chromobacterium violaceum: exploitation of violacein production and inhibition for the detection of N-acylhomoserine lactones.” Microbiology 143(12): 3703-3711.
- McLean, R. J. C., Cassanto, J.M., Barnes, M.B., Koo, J.H. (2001). “Bacterial biofilm formation under microgravity conditions.” FEMS Microbiology Letters 195(2): 115-119.
- McLean, R. J. C., Pierson, L.S., Fuqua, C. (2004). “A simple screening protocol for the identification of quorum signal antagonists.” Journal of Microbiological Methods 58(3): 351-360.
- Morrison, R. H. and Holt M. (2005). ISS Internal Active Thermal Control System (IATCS) Coolant Remediation Project. International Conference on Environmental Systems (ICES), Rome, Italy
- Pyle, B., McFeters, G.A., Broadway, S.C., Johnsrud, C.K., Storfa, R.T, Borkowski, J. (1999). Bacterial Growth on Surfaces and Suspensions. BioRack on Spacehab. Perry M.. Noordwijk, Netherlands, ESA Publications Division
- Pyle, B., McFeters, G.A., and Broadway, S.C., (2001). Burkholderia cepacia biofilm growoth and disinfection in microgravity. 31st International Conference on Environmental Systems, Orlando, FL, Society of Automotive Engineers.
- Pyle, B., Vega, L.M., Roth, S.R., Pickering, K.D., Alvarez. P.J., Roman, M.R. (2007). Multispecies biofilm development on space station heat exchanger core material. 4th ASM Conference on Bioflims. Quebec City, Quebec, American Society for Microbiology.
- Whitehead, N. A., Barnard A. M. L., et al. (2001). “Quorum-sensing in Gram-negative bacteria.” FEMS Microbiology Reviews 25(4): 365-404.
- Xavier, K. B. and Bassler B. L. (2003). “LuxS quorum sensing: more than just a numbers game.” Current Opinion in Microbiology 6(2): 191-197.