This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
In-Orbit Thermal Performance of a Smart Radiation Device
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Smart Radiation Device (SRD) decreases the temperature variation by changing its emissivity depending on the temperature. The first generation of the SRD has been demonstrated on the MUSES-C ‘HAYABUSA’ spacecraft launched on May 9th 2003. This new thermal control device reduces the energy consumption of the on-board heater, and decreases the weight and the cost of the thermal control system. With the opportunity to validate the SRD in space, lightweight and low cost thermal control devices offer a possibility for flexible thermal control on interplanetary spacecraft.
CitationTachikawa, S., Ohnishi, A., Nakamura, Y., and Okamoto, A., "In-Orbit Thermal Performance of a Smart Radiation Device," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3125, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3125.
- Zener, C. “Interaction Between the d-Shell in the Transition Metals. II. Ferromagnetic Compounds of Manganese with Perovskite Structure,” Physical Review 82 3 1951 403 405
- Shimazaki Kazunori Tachikawa Sumitaka Ohnishi Akira Nagasaka Yuji “TEMPERATURE DEPENDENCE OF TOTAL HEMISPHERICAL EMITTANCE OF MANGANESE OXIDES WITH PEROVSKITE-TYPE STRUCTURE,” The 19 th Japan Symposium on Thermophysical Properties Fukuoka 1998 75 78
- Tachikawa S. Ohnishi A. Shimazaki K. Okamoto A. Nakamura Y. Shimakawa Y. Manako T. Mori T. Ochi A. “Development of a Variable Emittance Radiator,” ICES 1999-01-2090
- Shimazaki K. Tachikawa S. Ohnishi A. Nagasaka Y. “Thermal radiative properties of variable emittance device for space use,” The 38 th Japan Heat Transfer Symposium Saitama 2001 489 490
- Shimazaki K. Tachikawa S. Ohnishi A. Nagasaka Y. “Design of Thermal Radiative Properties of Multilayer Films on a Variable Emittance Radiator,” ICES 2001-01-2339
- Tachikawa S. Ohnishi A. Shimazaki K. Okamoto A. Nakamura Y. Shimakawa Y. Kosaka M. Mori T. Ochi A. “Design and Ground Test Results of a Variable Emittance Radiator,” ICES 2000-01-2277
- Tachikawa S. Ohnishi A. Shimazaki K. Okamoto A. Nakamura Y. Shimakawa Y. Mori T. Ochi A. “Smart Radiation Device: Design of an Intelligent Material with Variable Emittance,” ICES 2001-01-2342
- Ochi A. Mori T. Shimakawa Y. Kubo Y. Okamoto A. Nakamura Y. Tachikawa S. Ohnishi A. Shimazaki K. “Variable Thermal Emittance Radiator Using Metal-Insulator Phase Transition in La 1-X Sr X MnO 3 ,” Jpn J. Appl. Phys. 41 2002 7263 7265
- Shimakawa Y. Yoshitake T. Kubo Y. Machida T. Shinagawa K. Okamoto A. Nakamura Y. Ochi A. Tachikawa S. Ohnishi A. “A variable-emittance radiator based on a metal-insulator transition of(La,Sr)MnO3 thin films Applied Physics Leters 80 25 2002 4864 4866
- Saito H. Matsumoto Y. Mizuno T. Miura A. Hashimoto M. Ogawa H. Tachikawa S. Ohshima T. Choki A. Fukuda H. Hirahara M. Okano S. “INDEX: PIGGY-BACK SATELLITE FOR AURORA OBSERVATION AND TECHNOLOGY DEMONSTRATION,” Acta Astronauitca 48 5-12 723 735 2001
- Ohnishi, A. Hayashi, T. Nagano, H. “Measurement of hemispherical total emittance of thermal control materials for spacecraft,” Proceedings of 4 th Japan Symposium on Thermophysical Properties 1983 1 4
- Jonker, G. H. Van Santen, J. H. “Ferromagnetic Compounds of Manganese with Perovskite Structure,” Physica 16 3 1950 337 349
- Tachikawa S. Ohnishi S. Shimakawa Y. Ochi A. Okamoto A. Nakamura Y. “Development of a Variable Emittance Radiator Based on a Perovskite Manganese Oxide,” Journal of Thermophysica and Heat Transfer 17 2 2003