This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Access Systems for Partial Gravity Exploration & Rescue: Results from Prototype Testing in an Analog Environment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An EVA simulation with a medical contingency scenario was conducted in 2006 with the NASA Haughton-Mars and EVA Physiology System and Performance Projects, to develop medical contingency management and evacuation techniques for planetary surface exploration. A rescue/evacuation system to allow two rescuer astronauts to evacuate one incapacitated astronaut was evaluated. The rescue system was utilized effectively to extract an injured astronaut up a slope of15-25° and into a surface mobility rover for transport to a simulated habitat for advanced medical care. Further research is recommended to evaluate the effects of reduced gravity and to develop synergies with other surface systems for carrying out the contingency procedures.
- E. Hodgson - Hamilton-Sundstrand Space, Land, & Sea
- J. M. Comtois - Canadian Space Agency, Montreal, Canada
- P. Sullivan - Canadian Space Agency, Montreal, Canada
- J. Jones - NASA Johnson Space Center
- S. Torney - NASA Johnson Space Center
- P. Lee - Mars Institute, Vancouver, BC
- N. Wilkinson - Mars Institute, Vancouver, BC
- S. Braham - Mars Institute, Vancouver, BC
- R. Scheuring - University of Texas
- S. Chappell - LASP, University of Colorado and Mars Institute, Vancouver, BC
- A. Rafiq - Virginia Commonwealth University
CitationChappell, S., Scheuring, R., Jones, J., Torney, S. et al., "Access Systems for Partial Gravity Exploration & Rescue: Results from Prototype Testing in an Analog Environment," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3033, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3033.
- Chappell, S. Klaus D. 2004 “Adaptation of Terrestrial Mountaineering Equipment and Training Methods for Planetary EVA Operations.” SAE Journal of Aerospace 113 1 415 425
- Chappell, S. Klaus D. Parazynski S. 2006 Access Systems for Partial Gravity Exploration & Rescue: Engineering Analysis & Design 36th International Conference on Environmental Systems Norfolk, VA
- Eppler, D. 2004 Conduct of Geologic Field Work during Planetary Exploration: Implications for EVA Suit Design 34th International Conference on Environmental Systems Colorado Springs, CO
- Jones, E. 2004 The Apollo Lunar Surface Journal 2003
- May, W. 1973 Mountain Search and Rescue Techniques Boulder, CO Rocky Mountain Rescue Group
- NASA 2004 The Vision for Space Exploration 2004