This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Overview of the New Surface Finishings for SI Bores
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 28, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents some definitions about the bore surface finishing and its influence on the piston rings performance.
The surface finishing of a cylinder is in most of cases obtained by a machining process called honing. In recent years, developments and innovations to the honing process have been implemented. These new surface finishings are being implemented in order to improve the working condition of the system. Some of these developments are presented.
This paper also presents some benchmarking of bore finishing for SI engines and case studies showing the influence of the surface finishing on the rings performance, regarding wear, friction and lube oil consumption. The results showed that smoother bore surfaces presented lower friction coefficient and also lower wear on the rings and bores.
Finally a recommendation for bore finishing and its evaluation for modern SI engines is given.
CitationUehara, S., "Overview of the New Surface Finishings for SI Bores," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2823, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2823.
- Tomanik, E. Liner Honing Quality Main Characteristics SAE, 921453E 1992
- Jocksak, J. et al The characterization of cylinder liner surface finishes ICES 2005-1080 2005
- Taylor C.M. Automobile engine tribology - design considerations for efficiency and durability Wear 221 1 8 1998
- Priest, M Taylor C.M. Automobile engine tribology - approaching the surface Wear 241 193 203 2000
- Duarte, D. 2001 148 São Carlos
- Whitehouse, D.J. Handbook of Surface Metrology Institute of Physics Publishing 1994
- ASME Surface Texture (Surface Roughness, Waviness, and lay) ASME B46.1-1995
- EN ISO 13565-2 GPS-Surface Texture: Profile Method, Part 2: Height characterization using the linear material ratio curve 1997
- Hutchings, I.M. Tribology Friction and Wear of Engineering Materials London 86 92 1992
- Robota, A. Zwein, F. MTZ 60 246 255 1999
- Lemke, H.W. et al Characteristic Parameters of the Abbott Curve for the Integral Evaluation of 3D Measured Cylinder Liner Surfaces MTZ 64 34 36 2003
- Tomanik, E. Modelling of the Aperity Contact Area on Actual 3D Surfaces SAE 2005-01-1864 2005
- Tabenkin, A. Surface Finishing Measurement Basics, Quality Sep. 2004
- Tabenkin, A. Surface Finish: A machinist's Tool, A Design Necessity Modern Machine Shop March 1999
- MAHLE GmBH Recommendation for the specification of cast iron cylinder bore surfaces Technical Publication 2000
- Gehring GmbH The future of the Surface - Optimum Tribossystem through functionally Optimized Surfaces Brochure 2004
- Hill, S. Cylinder Bore Finishes and Their Effect on Oil Consumption SAE, 2001-01-3550 2001
- Tomanik, E. Ferrarese, A. Low Friction Ring Pack for Gasoline Engines ASME ICEF Fall 2006, ICEF2006- 1566 2006