This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Virtual Ergonomic Assessment on Handheld Products based on Virtual Grasping by Digital Hand
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 12, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this research is to develop a system for virtual ergonomic assessment of products without real subjects and physical mockups by integrating a digital hand model with a product model. In previous work, we developed functions of a semi-automatic grasp planning for the digital hand and of quantitatively evaluating the grasp stability of the product based on the force-closure and the grasp quality in our system. We also confirmed the validity of the results from these functions by comparing them with the real grasp postures. However, only evaluating the grasp stability could not necessarily derive the appropriate grasp postures. To solve this problem, in this paper, we propose a new function of evaluating “ease of grasping (EOG)” for the grasp posture based on EOG-map constructed from principal component analysis for finger joint angles in real subjects’ grasps. We also developed another function of optimizing the grasp posture to avoid inappropriate postures by evaluating the posture similarity on EOG-map in the system.
- Yui Endo - Hokkaido University, JAPAN
- Satoshi Kanai - Hokkaido University, JAPAN
- Takeshi Kishinami - Hokkaido University, JAPAN
- Natsuki Miyata - Digital Human Research Center, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), JAPAN
- Makiko Kouchi - Digital Human Research Center, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), JAPAN
- Masaaki Mochimaru - Digital Human Research Center, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), JAPAN
CitationEndo, Y., Kanai, S., Kishinami, T., Miyata, N. et al., "Virtual Ergonomic Assessment on Handheld Products based on Virtual Grasping by Digital Hand," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2511, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2511.
SAE 2007 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars: Electronic and Electrical Systems
Number: V116-7 ; Published: 2008-08-15
Number: V116-7 ; Published: 2008-08-15
- ISO13407, Human-centered Design Processes for Interactive System, 1999.
- For example, Jack, http://www.ugs.com
- KouchiM. et al., “An Analysis of Hand Measurements for Obtaining Representative Japanese Hand Models,” Proceedings of the 8th Annual Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering Symposium, 2005-01-2734, 2005.
- MiyataN. et al., “Modeling of Human Hand Link Structure from Optical Motion Capture Data,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2129-2135, 2004.
- MiyataN. et al., “Method to Derive Hand Link Model with MRI images,” Proceedings of the 21st Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan, 1A11, 2003.
- Sapporo IT Carozzeria, http://www.it-cluster.jp/english/
- MillerA. et al., “Grasplt¡: A Versatile Simulator for Robotic Grasping”, IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, 110-122, 2004.
- MillerA. et al., “From Robot Hands to Human Hands: A Visualization and Simulation Engine for Grasping Research,” Industrial Robot, vol.32, no.1, 55-63, 2005.
- WanH. et al., “Realistic Virtual Hand Modeling with Applications for Virtual Grasping,” Proceedings of the 2004 ACM SIGGRAPH International Conference on Virtual Reality Continuum and its Applications in Industry, 81-87, 2004.
- EIKouraG. et al., “Handrix: Animating the Human Hand”, Proceedings of the 2003 ACM SIGGRAPH / Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation, 110-119, 2003.
- KyotaF. et al., “Detection and Evaluation of Grasping Positions,” Proceedings of the 2005 ACM SIGGRAPH, sketches, 2005.
- EndoY. et al., “An Application of a Digital Hand to Ergonomic Assessment of Handheld Information Appliances,” Proceedings of SAE 2006 Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering Conference, 2006-01-2325, 2006.
- MiyataN. et al., “Hand Link Modeling and Motion Generation from Motion Capture Data based on 3D Joint Kinematics,” Proceedings of the 2005 Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering Symposium (CD-ROM), 2005-01-2687, 2005.
- MochimaruM. et al., “Dhaiba: Functional Human Models to Represent Variation of Shape, Motion and Subjective Assessment,” Proceedings of SAE 2006 Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering Conference, 2006-01-2345, 2006.
- YangJ. et al., “Posture Prediction and Force/Torque Analysis for Human Hands,” Proceedings of the SAE 2006 Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering Conference, 2006-01-2326, 2006.
- MiyataN. et al., “Posture Estimation for Design Alternative Screening by DhaibaHand - Cell Phone Operation,” Proceedings of the SAE 2006 Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering Conference, 2006-01-2327, 2006.
- LiY. et al., “A Shape Matching Algorithm for Synthesizing Humanlike Enveloping Grasps,” IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots, 2005.
- NguyenV., “Constructing force-closure grasps,” The International Journal of Robotics Research, vol.7, no.3, 3-16, 1988.
- PollardN.S., “Closure and Quality Equivalence for Efficient Synthesis of Grasps from Examples,” The International Journal of Robotics Research, vol.23, no.6, 595-613, 2004.
- LeeJ. et al., “Model-Based Analysis of Hand Posture,” IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol.15, no.5, 77-86, 1995.
- SantelloM. et al., “Postural Hand Synergies for Tool Use,” The Journal of Neuroscience, vol.18, no.23, 10105-10115, 1998.
- WelmanC., “Inverse Kinematics and Geometric Constraints for Articulated Figure Manipulation,” Simon Frasier University Master's Thesis, 1993.