This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Database of Ingress / Egress Motions of Elderly People
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 12, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
HANDIMAN project aims at collection data and developing a computer aided design tool that helps the designers to adapt car design to the needs of elderly and impaired people when getting in and out of a car. Healthy young people, elderly people and people with hip or/and knee prostheses participated in the experiments. For elderly subjects and those with prostheses, several clinical tests were carried out for characterizing their joint mobilities and physical capacities. Ingress / egress motions were captured for four different types of car. According to individual characteristics and motion control strategies, a motion database will be developed. With help of recently developed case based motion simulation approach, this motion database can be used to simulate new car configurations within the scope covered by the database. The aim of this paper is to present the collected data and how we are going to structure them to simulate ingress / egress motions. Only the motion database of the elderly people will be presented.
CitationChateauroux, E., Wang, X., and Trasbot, J., "A Database of Ingress / Egress Motions of Elderly People," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2493, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2493.
- Andreoni G. Rabuffetti M. Pedotti A. 2004 Kinematics of head-trunk movements while entering and exiting a car Ergonomics 47 3 343 359
- Barrett, J. 2005 Support and information needs of older and disabled older people in the UK Applied Ergonomics 36 177 183
- Department of Transport 1985 Ins and outs of car choice A Guide for elderly and disabled people London Department of Transport at the Transport and Road Laboratory 1985 42
- Debril J-F. Ait El Menceur M-O. Pudlo P. Lepoutre F-X. Gorce P. Articular efforts developed by disabled subject during the automobile vehicle accessibility movement - A discomfort index? SAE International conference and exposition of Digital Human Modelling for Design and Engineering 2007
- Doriot N. Wang X 2006 Effects of age and gender on maximum voluntary range of motion of the upper body joints Ergonomics 49 3 2006 269 281
- Gyi, D. E. Sims, R. E. Porter, J. M. Marshall, R. Casse, K. 2004 Representing older and disabled people in virtual user trials: data collection methods Applied Ergonomics 35 443 451
- Höök O. Von Heijne C. 1971 Problems of car usage for elderly people. An ergonomic study concerning car door size Scandinavian Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine 3 178 182
- Leroy L. Bleuse S. Ait El Menceur M-O. Urzica I. Depecker T. Pudlo P. Thevenon A. Locomotor capacity and car accessibility after 65 years 4th World Congress of the International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine Seoul, South Korea 10-14 June 2007
- Monnier G. Wang X. Verriest J. P. Goujon S. 2003 Simulation of complex and specific task-orientated movements - application to the automotive seat belt reaching SAE International conference and exposition of Digital Human Modelling for Design and Engineering Monreal 17-19 June 2003 SAE paper 2003-01-2225
- Monnier G. Renard F. Chameroy A. Wang X. Trasbot J. 2006 A motion simulation approach integrated into a design engineering process SAE International conference and exposition of Digital Human Modelling for Design and Engineering Lyon, France July 4-6 2006 SAE paper 2006-01-2359
- Monnier G. Wang X. Beurier G Trasbot, J. 2007 Coordination of spine degrees of freedom during a motion reconstruction process SAE International conference and exposition of Digital Human Modelling for Design and Engineering 2007
- OECD 2001 Ageing and Transport Mobility needs and safety issues Paris OECD 2001 131
- Park, W. Chaffin, D.B. Martin, B.J. 2004 Toward memory-based human motion simulation: development and validation of a motion modification algorithm IEEE Transaction on System, Man and Cybernetics - Part A: Systems and Humans 34 3 376 386
- Petzäll J. 1995 The design of entrances of taxis for elderly and disabled passengers. An experimental study Applied Ergonomics 26 5 343 352
- Pochet, P. 2003 Travel pratices and access to the car among the elderly Current developments and issues 79 93 106
- Porter. J. M. Case, K. Marshall, R. GYI, D. Sims, R. 2004 ‘Beyond Jack and Jill’: designing for individuals using HADRIAN International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 33 2004 249 264
- Wang X. Chevalot N. Monnier G. Trasbot J. 2006 From motion capture to motion simulation: an in-vehicle reach motion database for car design SAE International conference and exposition of Digital Human Modelling for Design and Engineering Lyon, France July 4-6 2006 SAE paper 2006-01-2362