This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mark III Space Suit Mobility: A Reach Evaluation Case Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 12, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A preliminary assessment of the reach envelope and field of vision (FOV) for a subject wearing a Mark III space suit was requested for use in human-machine interface design of the Science Crew Operations and Utility Testbed (SCOUT) vehicle.
The reach and view of two suited and unsuited subjects were evaluated while seated in the vehicle using 3-dimensional position data collected during a series of reaching motions. Data was interpolated and displayed in orthogonal views and cross-sections.
Compared with unsuited conditions, medio-lateral reach was not strongly affected by the Mark III suit, whereas vertical and antero-posterior reach were inhibited by the suit. Lateral FOV was reduced by approximately 40° in the suit.
The techniques used in this case study may prove useful in human-machine interface design by providing a new means of developing and displaying reach envelopes.
CitationThaxton, S., Abercromby, A., Onady, E., and Rajulu, S., "Mark III Space Suit Mobility: A Reach Evaluation Case Study," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2473, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2473.
- Abercromby, A. Thaxton, S. Onady, E. Rajulu, S. “Reach envelope and field of vision quantification in Mark III space suit using Delaunay triangulation.” NASA/TP-2006-213729 November 2006
- Barber, C.B. Dobkin, D.P. Huhdanpaa, H.T. “The quickhull algorithm for convex hulls,” ACM Transactions of Mathematical Software 22 469 483 1996
- Bern, M. Eppstein, D. “Mesh generation and optimal triangulation.” Tech. Rep. CSL-92-1, Xerox PARC 1992 Computing in Euclidean Geometry Du D.-Z. Hwang F.K. World Scientific 1992 23 90
- Eastman Kodak Company Ergonomic Design for People at Work, Volume I New York Van Nostrand Reinhold 1983
- Pheasant, S. Bodyspace: Anthropometry, Ergonomics and the Design of Work Second Edition Great Britain Taylor and Francis 1996
- Schmidt, P.B. Newman, D.J. Hodgson, E. “Modeling Space Suit Mobility: Applications to Design and Operations,” AIAA and SAE International Conference on Environmental Systems (ICES 2001) Orlando, FL June 2001