This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Virtual Simulation of Static and Dynamic Seating Comfort in the Development Process of Automobiles and Automotive Seats: Application of Finite-Element-Occupant-Model CASIMIR
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 12, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To perform virtual development phase simulations in the field of seating comfort, an occupant model is needed which reflects the static and dynamic properties of humans. In this paper, the application of the dynamic finite-element-occupant-model CASIMIR to the development of an automotive seat is described.
For static seating comfort simulations, CASIMIR is used with a finite-element representation of the seat. Results of such simulations are the static pressure distributions and measures like “meat-to-metal”, or the real position of the occupant inside the vehicle considering compliances of seat, seat cushion, and human body.
Dynamic seating comfort is closely related to the seat transfer function, which can be simulated with CASIMIR. Knowledge about seat transfer functions enable the developers of cars and/or seats to adopt dynamic characteristics of the seat to the special NVH-requirements of a specific vehicle and to avoid matching of resonances of seat and vehicle body.
CitationPankoke, S. and Siefert, A., "Virtual Simulation of Static and Dynamic Seating Comfort in the Development Process of Automobiles and Automotive Seats: Application of Finite-Element-Occupant-Model CASIMIR," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2459, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2459.
- ABAQUS/Standard (Software) ABAQUS Inc. Providence, RI, USA www.abaqus.com
- Pankoke, S. Siefert, A. Breitfeld, Th. CASIMIR (Numerical Simulation of Seat Vibrations in Luxury-Class Automobiles: Application of the Finite- Element-Man-Model CASIMIR)” VDI-Berichte 1912 VDI-Verlag Düsseldorf, Germany 2005
- Cakmak, M. Delavoye, C. Führlinger, L. (A Seat Comfort Simulation: A New Method in Pilot Application)” Numerical Analysis and Simulation in Vehicle Engineering VDI-Berichte 1967 VDI-Verlag Düsseldorf, Germany 2006
- ISO 3386-1 1986 “Polymeric materials, cellular flexible - Determination of stress-strain characteristics in compression - Part 1: Low-Density materials” ISO 1986
- Digital Human Modeling Conference VDI-Berichte 1675 VDI Verlag Düsseldorf, Germany 2002
- Wölfel, H. P. Rützel, S. Presentation VDI-Conference on Human Vibrations Darmstadt, Germany 2004
- Wölfel, H. P. “Numerical Models and Hardware Dummies for Simulating Whole-Body-Vibrations of Human - An Overview” 1 st American Conference on Human Vibration Morgantown; USA 2006
- Pankoke, S. Siefert, A. “Simulation of Human Motion, Muscle Forces and Lumbar Spine Stresses due to Whole-Body-Vibration: Application of the Dynamic Human Model CASIMIR for the Development of Commercial Vehicles and Passenger Cars” 1st American Conference on Human Vibration Morgantown; USA 2006
- Siefert, A. Delavoye, C. Cakmak, M. “CASIMIR: Human Finite-Element-Model for Static and Dynamic Assessment of Seating Comfort” IEA-Conference 2006 Maastricht; Netherlands 2006
- Pankoke, S. VDI-Verlag Düsseldorf; Germany 2003
- Griffin, M. “Handbook of human Vibration” Academic Press 1990
- RAMSIS (Software) Human Solutions GmbH Kaiserslautern, Germany www.human-solutions.com
- Bauer, E. “Numerical Simulations of Coupled Human-Seat-Vibration” PLM Europe 2006
- Montmayeur, N. Hyung-Yun, C. Sungjin, S. Marca, C. “Experimental and Numerical Analyses of Seating Pressure Distribution Patterns” 2005 Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering Symposium SAE Iowa 2005
- Verver, M. “Numerical Tools for Comfort Analyses of Automotive Seating” 2004
- Buck, B. Darmstadt University of Technology 1997
- Hofmann, J. Pankoke, S. Wölfel, H.P. “Individualised FE-Model of Seated Humans and Representation of Motion Segments of the Lumbar Spineas Substructure to Determine Internal Loads During Vibration Excitation” Research Report Fb 994 Federal Institute of Occupational Safety and Health Germany 2003
- Hofmann, J. Pankoke, S. “Extension and Adaptation of the FE-Model (FB 5162) to Practical Conditions According to the Field Studies in the European Project VIBRISKS” unpublished final report of the subcontract to the European project VIBRISKS