This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Mirror Angle for Front Window Buffeting and Wind Noise Using Experimental Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Door mirrors have a major impact on wind noise observed at the driver's ear. The mirror distance and angle with respect to the front side glass will influence the front window buffeting characteristics of the vehicle as well. Optimizing the mirror angle to minimize or eliminate buffeting while maintaining acceptable wind noise performance can provide additional customer satisfaction. Changes to the mirror angle were investigated experimentally for both wind noise and buffeting effects. Experimental vehicle interior noise and buffeting data was taken at multiple yaw angles and wind speeds using a full scale aero acoustic wind tunnel. In addition, experimental wind noise attributes for the different mirror angles was also used to determine the optimal angle. The resulting angle measurement will be used as a best practice mirror angle for optimal wind noise and front window buffeting performance on future vehicle programs.
CitationWalker, R. and Wei, W., "Optimization of Mirror Angle for Front Window Buffeting and Wind Noise Using Experimental Methods," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2401, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2401.
- Bodger, W.K. Jones, C.M. Aerodynamic wind throb in passenger cars SAE Transactions 73 195 206 1965
- Hucho, W.-H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles 4th Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1998
- An, C. Alaie, S.M. Sovani, S.D. Scislowicz, M.S. Singh, K. Side Window Buffeting characteristics of an SUV SAE Paper No. 2004-01-0230 2004
- An, C Singh, K. Optimization Study for Sunroof Buffeting Reduction SAE Paper No. 2006-01-0138 2006
- An, C Puskarz, M. etc Attempts for Reduction of Rear Window Buffeting Using CFD SAE Paper No. 2005-01-0603 2005
- Zhu, X. Gleason, M. A Process of Side Window Buffeting Prediction SAE Paper No. 2006-01-1573 2006
- Amman, S. Greenberg, J. etc Subjective quantification of wind buffeting noise SAE Paper No. 1999-01-1821 1999
- Crouse, Bernd etc. Sunroof Buffeting of a Simplified Car Model: Simulations of the acoustic and Flow-induced Responses SAE Paper No. 2005-01-2498 2005
- Blommer, M. Amman, S. etc. Sound quality metric development for wind buffeting and gusting noise SAE Paper No. 2003-01-1509 2003
- Hendriana, D. Sovani, S.D. Schiemann, M.K. On Simulating Passenger Car Side Window Buffeting SAE Paper No. 2003-01-1316 2003
- Leep-Apolloni, L. Strumolo, G.S. Gulker, W. Wind Noise Spectral Predictions Using a Lattice-Based Method SAE Paper No. 1999-01-1810 1999
- Her, J.Y. Lian, M. Lee, J.J. Moore, J. Experimental Assessment of Wind Noise Contributors to Interior Noise SAE Paper No. 971922 1997
- Coney, W.B. Tomaszewicz, K. Zhang, K.Y. Her, J.Y. Moore, J.A. Experimental Evaluation of Wind Noise Sources: A Case Study SAE Paper No. 1999-01-1812 1999
- Ehlert, G.J. Chapman, R.J. Thomas, R.S. Wind noise and aerodynamic drag optimization of outside rear view mirrors SAE Paper No. 931292 1993