This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Underbody Windnoise Sources on a Production Vehicle using a Lattice Boltzmann Scheme
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A computational analysis of underbody windnoise sources on a production automobile at 180 km/h free stream air speed and 0° yaw is presented. Two different underbody geometry configurations were considered for this study. The numerical results have been obtained using the commercial software PowerFLOW. The simulation kernel of this software is based on the numerical scheme known as the Lattice-Boltzmann Method (LBM), combined with a two-equation RNG turbulence model. This scheme accurately captures time-dependent aerodynamic behavior of turbulent flows over complex detailed geometries, including the pressure fluctuations causing wind noise. Comparison of pressure fluctuations levels mapped on a fluid plane below the underbody shows very good correlation between experiment and simulation. Detailed flow analysis was done for both configurations to obtain insight into the transient nature of the flow field in the underbody region.
CitationCrouse, B., Freed, D., Senthooran, S., Ullrich, F. et al., "Analysis of Underbody Windnoise Sources on a Production Vehicle using a Lattice Boltzmann Scheme," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2400, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2400.
- Anagnost, A., Alajbegovic, A., Chen, H., Hill, D., Teixeira, C. and Molving, K., “Digital Physics analysis of the Morel body in ground proximity”, SAE Paper 970139, 1997.
- Bhatnagar, P., Gross, E. and Krook, M., “A model for collision processes in gases. I. small amplitude processes in charged and neutral one-component system”, Pys. Rev., vol.94, pp.511-525, 1954.
- Chapman, S. and Cowling, T., “The Mathematical Theory of Non-Uniform Gases”, Cambridge University Press, 1990.
- Chen, H., “Volumetric Formulation of the Lattice Boltzmann Method for Fluid Dynamics: Basic Concept”, Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 58, 1998, pp. 3955-3963
- Chen, H., Kandasamy, S., Orszag, S., Shock, R., Succi, S. and Yakhot, V., “Extended Boltzmann Kinetic Equation for Turbulent Flows”, Science, Vol. 301, pp. 633-636, 2003.
- Chen, H., Orszag, S., Staroselsky, I. and Succi, S., “Expanded Analogy between Boltzmann Kinetic Theory of Fluid and Turbulence”, J. Fluid Mech., Vol. 519, 2004, pp. 307-314.
- Chen, H., Teixeira, C. and Molvig, K., “Digital Physics Approach to Computational Fluid Dynamics, Some Basic Theoretical Features,” Intl. J. Mod. Phys. C, 8 (4), 1997, p. 675.
- Chen, H., Teixeira, C., Molvig, K., “Realization of Fluid Boundary Conditions via Discrete Boltzmann Dynamics,” Intl. J. Mod. Phys. C, 9 (8), 1998, p. 1281.
- Chen, H., “Extensions in Turbulent Wall Modeling” Exa internal publication, 1998.
- Chen, S. and Doolen, G., “Lattice Boltzmann Method for Fluid Flows”, Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech., vol.30, pp.329-364, 1998.
- Chen S., Chen, H., Martinez, D. and Matthaeus, W., “Lattice Boltzmann model for simulation of magnetohydrodynamics,” Phys. Rev. Lett., 67 (27), 1991, pp. 3776-3779.
- Crouse, B., Senthooran, S., Balasubramanian, G., Freed, D., Noelting, S., Mongeau, L. and Hong, J. S, “Sunroof Buffeting of a Simplified Car Model: Simulations of the Acoustic and Flow-induced Responses”, SAE Paper No. 2005-01-2498, 2005.
- Duncan, B.D., Sengupta, R., Mallick, S. and Sims-Williams, D.B., “Numerical simulation and spectral analysis of pressure fluctuations in vehicle aerodynamic noise generation”, SAE Paper 2002-01-0597, 2002.
- Fares, E., “Unsteady Flow Simulation of the Ahmed Reference Body using a Lattice Boltzmann Approach”, Comput. Fluids, in press.
- Frisch, U., Hasslacher, B. and Pomeau, Y., “Lattice-gas Automata for the Navier-Stokes Equations,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 56, 1986, pp.1505-1508.
- Jeong, J. and Hussain, F., “On the identification of a vortex”, J. Fluid Mech., v.285, p.69, 1995
- Li, Y., Shock, R., Zhang, R., and Chen, H., “Numerical Study of Flow Past an Impulsively Started Cylinder by Lattice Boltzmann Method” J. Fluid Mech., Vol. 519, 2004, pp. 273-300.
- Pervaiz, M. and Teixeira, C., “Two Equation Turbulence Modeling with the Lattice-Boltzmann Method”, Proc. o. ASME PVP Division Conference, Boston, 1999.
- Qian, Y., d'Humieres, D. and Lallemand, P., “Lattice BGK Models for Navier-Stokes Equation,” Europhys. Lett., 17, 1992, pp. 479-484.
- Rubinstein, R. and Barton, J. M., “Nonlinear Reynolds Stress Models and the Renormalization Group” Phys. Fluids A, Vol. 2, No. 8, 1990. pp. 1472-1476.
- Senthooran, S., Crouse, B., Balasubramanian, G., Freed, D., Noelting, S., “Simulation of wall pressure fluctuations on simplified automobile shapes using a lattice based method”, Proc. 2005 ASME IMECE, Nov. 5-11, 2005, Orlando, Florida.
- Senthooran, S., Crouse, B., Balasubramanian, G., Freed, D., Caridi, D., “Numerical simulation of wind noise on the sideglass of a production automobile”, FISITA Paper F2006D124, 2006.
- Shan, X., Yuan X.F., and Chen, H., “Kinetic theory representation of hydrodynamics: a way beyond the Navier-Stokes equation”, J. Fluid Mech., v.550, p.413-441, 2006.
- Shock, R., Mallick, S., Chen, H., Yakhot, V., and Zhang, R., “Recent simulation results on 2D NACA airfoils using a lattice Boltzmann based algorithm,” AIAA J. of Aircraft, Vol. 39, No. 3 (2002), pp. 434-439.
- Teixeira, C., “Incorporating Turbulence Models into the Lattice-Boltzmann Method,” Intl. J. Mod. Phys. C, Vol. 9 No. 8, 1998, pp. 1159-1175.
- Vaillant, O. and Maillard, V., “Numerical Simulation of Wall Pressure Fluctuation on a simplified Vehicle Shape”, AIAA Paper 2003-3271, 2003.
- Yakhot, V., Chen, H. A., Staroselsky, I., Qian, Y., Shock, R., Kandasamy, S., Zhang, R., Mallick, S., and Alexander, C., “A New Approach to Modelling Strongly Non-Equilibrium, Time-Dependent Turbulent Flow” Exa internal publication, 2001.
- Yakhot, V. and Orszag, S., A., “Renormalization Group Analysis of Turbulence. I. Basic Theory” J. Sci. Comput., Vol. 1, No. 2, 1986, pp. 3-51.
- Yakhot, V., Orszag, S., Thangam, S., Gatski, T. and Speziale, C., “Development of turbulence models for shear flows by a double expansion technique,” Phys. Fluids A, 4 (7), 1992, pp. 1510-1520.