This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Using an Interactive NVH Simulator to Understand Driver Behaviour during Sound Evaluations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A full vehicle NVH Simulator has been developed to provide a realistic interactive in-car environment where a subject can experience multi-modal stimuli ( accurately reproduced sound and vibration as well as visual ) whilst either driving or being driven.
This paper describes its use in learning about the strategies subjects employ during sound evaluations, and how this information can help optimise decision making during product development. It is possible to understand how subjects assess the sound of vehicles, both in the way that they drive the vehicle and importantly which elements of the sound character have greatest influence on their evaluation of the vehicle. It is also possible to compare the strategies employed by NVH engineers, company decision-makers and non-experts such as customers.
CitationGiudice, S., Jennings, P., Cain, R., Williams, R. et al., "Using an Interactive NVH Simulator to Understand Driver Behaviour during Sound Evaluations," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2393, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2393.
- Allman-Ward, M. et al The Interactive NVH Simulator as a Practical Engineering Tool Proceedings of 2003 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference
- Allman-Ward M. et al The evaluation of vehicle sound quality using an NVH simulator Proceedings of Inter-Noise 2004
- Williams, R. et al Using an Interactive NVH simulator for target setting and concept evaluation in a new vehicle programme Proceedings of 2005 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference
- Williams, R. et al Guidelines for the efficient measurement, preparation and validation of data for use in an NVH Simulator Proceedings of 2006 JSAE Annual Congress
- Giudice, S. et al Development and evaluation of a new sound quality evaluation approach for interactive NVH simulators Proceedings of Inter-Noise 2006
- Otto et al Guidelines for Jury Evaluations of Automotive Sounds Proceedings of 1999 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference
- Jennings, P. et al Developing Best Practice for Sound Evaluation using an Interactive NVH Simulator Transactions of the JSAE Volume 38 No. 1 January 2007
- Wickens, C. Hollands, J. Engineering Psychology and Human Perception Prentice Hall 2000