This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The New Blachford Acoustics Laboratory
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The new Blachford Acoustics Laboratory was designed and constructed to bring resources typically available only in the automotive industry to the non-passenger car markets. Prior to the opening of this laboratory, engineering tools common in the automotive industry, such as a hemi-anechoic chamber with chassis dynamometer or a reverberation room with a front of dash transmission loss suite were difficult or impossible to find for Class 8 truck, transit bus, or Class A motor home acoustical analysis. This was primarily due to vehicle size and weight, but also due to cooling air and engine exhaust extraction requirements. In a previous paper1 the author described the design of the laboratory and the acoustical goals for the various test spaces. Challenges included construction cost, sizes and weights of the test vehicles, the variety of potential products to undergo testing, and the selected laboratory site. With the facility now complete and fully functional, this paper describes the capabilities of the laboratory and compares the design goals with the as-built performance.
CitationMoritz, C., "The New Blachford Acoustics Laboratory," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2381, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2381.
- Moritz, Charles T. “the Design of an Acoustics Laboratory for Off-Highway, Heavy Truck, and Recreational Vehicles.” SAE Paper 2003-1680
- ISO 3745-1977(E) “Acoustics - Determination of sound power levels of noise sources - Precision methods for anechoic and semi-anechoic rooms” International Organization for Standardization
- ASTM C423 “Sound absorption and Sound Absorption Coefficients by the Reverberation Room Method” ASTM International West Conshohocken, PA
- SAE J1400 “Laboratory Measurement of the Airborne Sound Barrier Performance of Automotive Materials and Assemblies” SAE International Warrendale, PA
- ASTM E2249 “Laboratory Measurement of Airborne Transmission Loss of Building Partitions and Elements Using Sound Intensity,” ASTM International West Conshohocken, PA
- ASTM E90 “Laboratory Measurement of Airborne Sound Transmission Loss of Building Partitions and Elements,” ASTM International West Conshohocken, PA
- “Directive 2000/14/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council” Official Journal of the European Communities May 8 2000