This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
NVH Refinement of Diesel Powered Sedans with Special Emphasis on Diesel Clatter Noise and Powertrain Harshness
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
NVH refinement of passenger vehicles is crucial to customer acceptance of contemporary vehicles. This paper describes the vehicle NVH development process, with specific examples from a Diesel sedan application that was derived from gasoline engine-based vehicle architecture. Using an early prototype Diesel vehicle as a starting point, this paper examines the application of a Vehicle Interior Noise Simulation (VINS) technique in the development process. Accordingly, structureborne and airborne noise shares are analyzed in the time-domain under both steady-state and transient test conditions. The results are used to drive countermeasure development to address structureborne and airborne noise refinement. Examples are provided to highlight the refinement process for “Diesel knocking” under idle as well as transient test conditions.
Specifically, the application of VINS to understanding the influence of high frequency dynamic stiffness of hydro-mounts on Diesel clatter noise is examined. In addition, examples are provided from studies aimed at reducing the perceived powertrain harshness under on-road operating conditions. Finally, the results from these studies are summarized and appropriate conclusions drawn with respect to the Diesel sedan NVH development process.
CitationPollack, M., Govindswamy, K., Wellmann, T., Eisele, G. et al., "NVH Refinement of Diesel Powered Sedans with Special Emphasis on Diesel Clatter Noise and Powertrain Harshness," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2378, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2378.
- Govindswamy K. Hueser M. “Developed on the Quiet” Engine Technology International March 2002 44 47
- Alt N. Weihagen N. Schlitzer N. M. W. “Interior Noise Simulation for Improved Vehicle Sound” SAE 2001-01-1539
- Eisele, G. Wolff, K. Alt, N. Hüser, M. SAE 2005-01-2514 “Application of Vehicle Interior Noise Simulation (VINS) for NVH Analysis of a Passenger Car” May 2005
- Lee, J. Bae, M. Kim, K. “Limitations of Mechanical Model With Lumped Mass in Representing Dynamic Characteristics of Hydraulic Mount” SAE 2003-01-1466
- Nehl, J. Wilhelm, M. Gauch, P. Travert, M. “Evaluation of Crankshaft Clearance Influence on Specific Roughness Noise Concern” SAE 1999-01-1771
- Hoard, J. Rehagen, L. “Relating Subjective Idle Quality to Engine Combustion” SAE 970035