This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Feasibility Study of a New Optimization Technique for the Vehicle Body Structure in the Initial Phase of the Design Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper proposes a new hierarchical optimization technique for the vehicle body structure, by combining topology optimization and shape optimization based on the traction method. With the proposed approach, topology optimization is first performed on the overall allowable design domain in 3D. The surface is extracted from the optimization result and converted to a thin shell structure. Shape optimization based on the traction method is then applied to obtain an overall optimal body shape. In the shape optimization process, iterative calculations are performed in the course of consolidating parts by deleting those whose contribution is small. The result obtained by applying this method to the front frame structure of a vehicle is explained. The resultant optimal shape has stiffness greater than or equal to the original structure and is 35% lighter. This confirms the validity of the proposed technique. It was found, however, that some issues remain to be addressed.
CitationYamamoto, T., Maruyama, S., Yamada, H., and Nishiwaki, S., "Feasibility Study of a New Optimization Technique for the Vehicle Body Structure in the Initial Phase of the Design Process," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2344, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2344.
- Nishigaki, H. Amago, T. Sugiura, H. Kojima, Y. Nishiwaki, S. Kikuchi, N. First Order Analysis for Automotive Body Structure Design SAE paper , 2004-01-1658
- Bendsøe, M.P. Kikuchi, N. Generating optimal topology in structural design using a homogenization method Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 71 1998 197 224
- Schelkle, E. Elsenhans, H. Virtual Vehicle Development in the Concept Stage -Current Status of CAE and Outlook on the Future Proceedings of 3rd MSC Worldwide Aerospace Conference & Technology Showcase 2001
- Shiozaki, H. Yanase, J. Concept study technique by simplified model Proceedings of Design & Systems Conference 134 135 2005
- Azegami, H. Solution of Domain Optimization Problems Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers Series A 60 1994 1479 1486
- Maruyama, S. Yoshida, N. Azegami, H. Application of Shape Optimization Design to Automotive Parts Proceedings of JSAE Spring Conference 90-04 2004
- Takeuchi, K. Tsukino, M. Maruyama, S. The practical implementation of the traction method for improvement of dynamic performance Proceedings of JSAE Spring Conference 55-06 2006
- Shimoda, M. Tsuji, J. Kanda, Y. Ishizu, H. Azegami, H. A Solution to Shape Optimization Problems for the Rigidity Design of Plate and Shell Structures Computational Mechanics Proceedings of WCCM VI 1 2004
- OPTISHAPE-TS User's Guide Quint Corporation