This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Analytic Wavelet Transform to Transient Signal Analyses
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The analytic wavelet transform (AWT) is a wavelet transform that works much like a transient Fourier transform. Therefore the AWT enables utilizing advantages of both the wavelet transform and Fourier transform. A special form of AWT developed for transient vibration and acoustics signal analyses is applied to various engineering signals in this paper. Application examples include a general time-frequency (T-F) analysis, analysis of exposures to impulsive vibrations and noises, and estimation of reverberation times. Some new definitions such as the T-F noise reduction and frequency weighted time history are defined by taking the advantage of unique capabilities of the AWT. Possible automotive applications of these new concepts are briefly discussed.
|Technical Paper||Frictional and Acoustic Behavior of Automotive Interior Polymeric Material Pairs Under Environmental Conditions|
|Technical Paper||Noise Control in Hydraulic Systems|
|Technical Paper||Subaru New Horizontally Opposed 4-valve Engine|
CitationZhu, X. and Kim, J., "Application of Analytic Wavelet Transform to Transient Signal Analyses," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2321, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2321.
- Ahroon, W.A. Hamernik, R.P. Davis, R.I. “Complex noise exposure: An energy analysis.” Journal of Acoust. Soc. Am. 93 2 1993 997 1006
- Roberto, M. Hamernik, R. P. Salvi, R. J. Henderson, D. Milone, R. “Impact noise and the equal energy hypothesis.” Journal of Acoust. Soc. Am. 77 1985 1514 1520
- Starck, J. Toppila, E. Pyykko, I. “Impulse noise and risk criteria.” Noise and Health 5 20 2003 63 73
- Lee, J. H. Kim, J. Kim, H.-J. “Development of enhanced Wigner-ville distribution function.” Journal of Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 15 2001 367 398
- Mallat, S. A Wavelet Tour of Signal Processing Academic Press 1997
- Rioul, O. Vetterli, M. “Wavelets and signal processing, Signal Processing Magazine.” IEEE Oct 1991 8 4 14 38
- Daubechies, I. Ten Lectures on Wavelets, SIAM Philadelphia 1992
- Zhu, X. Kim, J. “Application of analytic wavelet transform to analysis of highly impulsive noises.” Journal of Sound and Vibration 294 2006 841 855
- NIOSH “Criteria for a Recommended Standard-Occupational Noise Exposure, US Department of Health and Human Services.” DHHS (NIOSH) Publication NO. 98-126 1998
- Kulkarni, P. Zhu, X. Kim, J. Hayden, C. “T-F characteristics of high-intensity, fast transient noise from power tools by analytic wavelet transform.” NOISECON 2004 Beltimore, MD 2004 306 312
- Starck, J. Jussi, P. Ilmari, P. “Physical characteristics of vibration in relation to vibration-induced white finger.” AIHAJ 51 4 179 184 1990
- Kim, J. Welcome, D.E. Dong, R.G. Song, W.J. Hayden, C. “T-F analysis of vibration of impact tools using analytic wavelet transform,” 1 st American Hand-Arm Vibration Conference Morgantown, WV May 2006