This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Topographically Structural Optimization Methodology for Improving Noise Radiation in Transaxles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, a new technology for the design of silent transaxles is developed, where topography optimization is adopted and an artificial parameter called β is proposed as an objective function, representing an upper bound of the surface velocity. The strategy of the optimization is to minimize β while getting the surface velocities less than β. as the constraints. A numerical example of reducing transaxle's radiated noise by using the new optimization technology is given in the paper. In the example, an entire Ford transaxle system was modeled numerically, where most internal components were included. First a modal frequency velocity analysis was conducted. Then an acoustic power analysis based on the Acoustic Transfer Vector (ATV) was carried out. Finally, a topography optimization based on the β - method for the transaxle was performed to minimize the radiated noise.
|Technical Paper||NVH Improvement of Vehicle Powertrain|
|Technical Paper||Empirical Noise Model for Power Train Noise in a Passenger Vehicle|
|Technical Paper||Gear Noise Simulation Using a Displacement Based Finite Element Method|
CitationDai, Y. and Ramnath, D., "A Topographically Structural Optimization Methodology for Improving Noise Radiation in Transaxles," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2287, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2287.
- Radzevich, S. “An Advanced Technology of Finishing of Topologically Modified Involote Pinion for Low-Noise/Noiseless Car Transmission,” SAE Paper 2005-01-2453
- Dai, Y. Schipper, D. Ramnath, D. “Correlation of CAE Models to Prototype Tests for Transmission Gear Whine Assessment” SAE Paper 2005-01-2459
- Kaatz, S. Abe, T. Vanhaaften, W. Wilson, B. Schwalm, B. Obourn, L. Newberger, N. “The Ford Motor Company Transmission NVH Test Cell” SAE Paper 2003-01-1682
- Middleton, A. “Benefits of Noise Testing in the Truck and Bus Transmission Industry” SAE Paper 2000-01-3516
- Chung, C. Steyer, G. Abe, T. Clapper, M. Shah, C. “Gear Noise Reduction through Transmission Errol Control and Gear Blank Dynamic Tuning” SAE Paper 1999-01-1766
- Schildmeier, E. “Gear Noise Reduction Using Design of Experiments” SAE Paper 981194
- Vanderplaats Research & Development, Inc. Genesis Design Manual , version 8.0
- Blakely, K. MSC/NASTRAN User' Guide Basic Dynamic Analysis 1996
- Meirovitch, L. Elements of Vibration Analysis McGraw-Hill 1986
- LMS Sysnoise User's Manual
- Fahy, Frank Sound and Structural Vibration, Radiation, Transaxle and Response Academic Press 1987
- Altair Engineering, Inc. OptiStruct 8.0 User's Guide
- Ewins, D. Modal Testing: Theory and Practice Research Studies Press Letchworth, Hertordshire, England 1984