This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Road Speed Humps on Vehicle Ride Dynamics with Active Suspension Designed with GA
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Road humps are considered as one of the best design propositions to control running vehicle speeds, in many roads they are randomly installed depending on the resident's requirements. In this paper, Genetic Algorithm (GA) optimization technique is used to design an active suspension based on force cancellation concept when the vehicles crossing road humps. A longitudinal half vehicle model is used to represent passenger's car and truck models. These models are used to evaluate the performance of active suspension over the road speed humps. The force cancellation concept is employed to isolate the force between the sprung and unsprung mass. Virtual damper and skyhook damper concepts are also used for reducing the sprung mass acceleration and tire dynamic loads. GA is adopted to obtain the better coefficients of a virtual damper and a skyhook damper for its effective searching ability. The results are generated in time domain and represented as a root mean square values (RMS) and bar charts.
CitationSalama, H., Rabeih, A., El-Demerdash, S., and Younes, Y., "Influence of Road Speed Humps on Vehicle Ride Dynamics with Active Suspension Designed with GA," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2176, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2176.
- Kellsey L. Hardy J. “Driving of Motor Vehicles as a Risk Factor for Acute Herniated Lumbar Intervertebral Disc” American Journal of Epidemiology 102 1 63 73 1975
- Gruber J. “Relationships Between Whole Body Vibration and Morbidity Patterns Among Interstate Truck Drivers” U.S. DHEW/NIOSH Publication 77 167 1977
- Frymoyer J. Pope M. Janice H. David G. Brian M. Takamaru A. “Risk Factors in Low Back Pain: An Epidemiological Survey” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 65-A 2 213 218 1983
- Tsao Y. Chen R. “Force Control of Active Suspension Design with a Half Car Model by Using Genetic Algorithms” AVEC 243 254 1998
- Xiao P. Prahlad V. Tong H. “DNA coded GA for the Rule Base Optimization of a Fuzzy Logic Controller” Journal of IEEE 1191 1196 2001
- Baumal A. McPhee J. Calamai P. “Application of Genetic Algorithms to the Design Optimization of an Active Vehicle Suspension System” Journal of Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 163 87 94 1998
- Farshidianfar A. Ebrahimi M. “Optimization of Vehicle Driveline Vibrations Using Genetic Algorithm (GA)” SAE, 2001011502 2001
- Kalyanmoy D. Vikas S. “Car Suspension Design for Comfort Using Genetic Algorithms” Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Genetic Algorithms 553 560 1997
- Chipperfield A. Fleming P. Pohlheim H. Fonseca C. “Genetic Algorithm TOOLBOX for Use with MATLAB” User's Guide, Version 1.2, Automatic Control and Systems Engineering University of Sheffield UK 1 37 2001
- El-Sayed M. “Vibration Analysis of Trucks” Master Thesis Faculty of Engineering Mataria, Helwan University 1 129 2000
- Philip A. John P. “Towards a North American Geometric Design Standard for Speed Humps” ITE Journal 30 34 January 2000
- Hani S. “Effect of Speed Control Humps on Vehicle Dynamics” Master Thesis Faculty of Engineering Mataria, Helwan University 1 139 2005