This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Piston Slap on Engine Block Vibration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Influence of piston skirt clearance on engine noise has been presented in this paper. Traces of forces producing engine block vibrations, i.e. gas force, and piston slap force were estimated and verified with real sampled data. An engine block vibration signal decomposition was also carried on, what enabled the identification of the influence of piston clearance on wavelet factor values C(a,b). It has been proved that increasing piston skirt clearance, delays the response of engine body on piston slap.
CitationFabi, P., Flekiewicz, M., Madej, H., Wojnar, G. et al., "Influence of Piston Slap on Engine Block Vibration," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2163, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2163.
- Gelle G. Colas M. Serviere C Blind separation: a tool for rotating machine monitoring by vibration analysis J. Sound and Vibration 2001 248 865 885
- Shibata K. Takahashi A. Shirai T. Fault diagnosis of rotating machinery through visualization sound signals Mech. Syst. Signal Process 2000 14 229 241
- Geng Z. Chen J. Hull B Analysis of engine vibration and design o fan applicable diagnostic approach Int. J. Mech. Sci. 2003 1391 1410
- Wang W.Q. Ismail F. Golnarghi F. Assessment of gear damage monitoring techniques using vibration measurements Mech. Sys. Signal Process 2003 15 5 905 1022
- Zheng H. Li Z. Chen X. Gear fault diagnosis based on continuous wavelet transform Mech. Syst. Signal Process 2002 16 447 557
- Bai M.R. Jeng J. Chen C Adaptative order tracking technique using recursive last-square algorithm Trans. ASME J. Sound Vibr. 2004 124 502 511
- Tse P.W. Yang W.X. Tan H.Y. Machine fault diagnosis trough an effective exact wavelet analysis J. Sound Vib. 2004 227 1005 1024
- Lin J. Qu L. Feature extraction based on Morlet wavelet and its application for mechanical fault diagnosis J. Sound Vib. 2000 234 1 135 148
- Jang S. Cho J. Effect of skirt profiles on the piston secondary movements by the lubrication behaviors Int. Journal Aut. Technology 2004 5 23 31
- Antoni J. Daniere J. Guillet F. Effective vibration analysis of IC engines using cyclostationarity. Part I - A methodology for condition monitoring Journal of Sound and Vibration 257 5 815 837 2002
- Aoyama T. Inagaki M. Kawamoto A. Mori N. Ikeura O. Yamamoto K. Analysis of main bearing and cylinder block vibration related to engine air borne noise JSAE Review 21 385 416 2000
- Badaoui M.El. Daniére J. Guillet F. Serviére C. Separation of combustion noise and piston-slap in diesel engine - Part I: Separation of combustion noise and piston-slap in diesel engine by cyclic Wiener filtering Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 19 1209 1217 2005
- Geng Z. Chen J. Investigation into piston-slap-induced vibration for engine condition simulation and monitoring Journal of Sound and Vibration 282 731 751 2004
- Zheng H. Liu G.R. Tao J.S. Lam K.Y. FEM/BEM analysis of diesel piston slap induced ship hull vibration and underwater noise Applied Acoustics 62 341 358 2001
- Inagaki M. Kawamoto T. Yamamoto K. Prediction of structural and kinematic coupled vibration on Internal Combustion engine R&D Review of Toyota CRDL 37 2
- Flekiewicz M. Madej H. Influence of Combustion Noise on Engine Block Vibration in IC Engine Fueled by LPG VAFSEP 2006 67 75 2006