This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Dynamics Modelling and Simulation of a Four Wheeled Ground Vehicle for a PC Based Driving Simulator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the Vehicle Dynamics Modelling and Simulation of a four wheeled ground vehicle. The model so developed and simulated can be integrated with a low-cost PC-based driving simulator that can perform six degree-of-freedom (DOF) motions similar to a road vehicle. The mathematical equations of vehicle dynamics are first derived and incorporated with the tire, steering, brake, engine and suspension subsystems. The mathematical model can accept the inputs from the driver, ground and the environment and generate necessary actuating signals for the motion platform and the visuals of the driving simulator. The model equations have been solved numerically using Runge Kutta -4 method. The model is simulated using Microsoft VC++ 6.0. The iteration time is found to be less than a 0.2 milli seconds making it suitable for integration with a PC based driving simulator.
CitationSingh, R. and Hada, M., "Vehicle Dynamics Modelling and Simulation of a Four Wheeled Ground Vehicle for a PC Based Driving Simulator," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2139, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2139.
- Lee J. H. K. Woon Sung and Cho J. H., “A driving simulator as a virtual reality tool,” in Proceedings of 1998 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, (Leuven, Belgium), pp. 71-76, May 1998.
- Allen R. W. and Jex H. R., “Driving simulation - requirements, mechanisation and and application,” SAE Paper, no. 800448.
- Gillespie T., Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), 1992.
- Lukowski S. A. and Medeksza L., “Vehicle cornering behaviour analysis using a general purpose simulation methodology,” ImechE, no. 925047, pp. 48-54, 1992.
- Smith D. E. and Starkey J. M., “Effects of model complexity on the performance of automated vehicle steering controllers : Model development, validation and comparison,” Vehicle System Dynamics, vol. 24, pp. 163-181, 1995.
- Singh R., “15 DOF real time dynamic modelling and simulation of a four wheeled ground vehicle,” Master's thesis, Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (Deemed University), Girinagar, Pune, India, May 2007.
- Wong J. Y., Theory of Ground Vehicles. John Wiley and Sons Inc, third ed., 2001.
- Segel L., “The mechanics of heavy duty trucks and truck combinations,” in Engineering Summer Conferences, (Ann Arbor), University of Mich-higan, 1984.
- Grewal B. S., Numerical Methods in Engineering and Science. 2-B Nath Market, Nai Sarak, Delhi-110006: Khanna Publisher, sixth ed., May 2002.
- Holzner S., Visual C++ 6 In Record Time. B - 14, Connaught Place, New Delhi: BPB Publications, first ed., 1998.
- Huang A. R. W. and Chen C., “A. low-cost driving simulator for full vehicle dynamic simulation,” IEEE Transaction on Vehicular Technology, vol. 52, pp. 162-171, January 2003.