This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Driving Parameters and Emissions for Real World Urban Driving Cycles using an on-board Measurement Method for a EURO 2 SI car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 23, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A FTIR in-vehicle on-road emission measurement system was installed in a EURO 2 emissions compliant SI car to investigate exhaust emissions under different urban traffic conditions. The real time fuel consumption and vehicle traveling speed was measured and logged. The temperatures were measured along the exhaust pipe so as to monitor the thermal characteristics and efficiency of the catalyst. Two real world driving cycles were developed with different traffic conditions. One (WP cycle) was located in a quiet area with few traffic interference and the other one (HPL cycle) was in a busy area with more traffic variations. The test car was pre-warmed before each test to eliminate cold start effect.
The driving parameters were analyzed for two real world cycles. The WP cycle had higher acceleration rate, longer acceleration mode and shorter steady speed driving mode and thus harsher than the HPL cycle. The CO, THC, NOx CO2, benzene and other hydrocarbon emissions were higher for the WP cycle. The comparison with EU legislation shows that the CO and THC emissions from both real world cycles could meet the legislated limit but the NOx emissions from both cycle exceeded the legislated emissions when the engine was hot. The research analyzed the elements that affect urban traffic emissions and will be useful for a better traffic management to reduce emissions. The data of this research can be used for the prediction of emissions in cities.
- Margaret Bell - Institute for Transport Studies
- James Tate - Institute for Transport Studies
- Karl Ropkins - Institute for Transport Studies
- Hu Li - Energy and Resources Research Institute
- Gordon E Andrews - Energy and Resources Research Institute
- Adnan A Khan - Energy and Resources Research Institute
- Dimitrios Savvidis - Energy and Resources Research Institute
- Basil Daham - Energy and Resources Research Institute
CitationLi, H., Andrews, G., Khan, A., Savvidis, D. et al., "Analysis of Driving Parameters and Emissions for Real World Urban Driving Cycles using an on-board Measurement Method for a EURO 2 SI car," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2066, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2066.
- Samuel S. Morrey D. Fowkes M. Taylor D.H.C. Austin L. Felstead T. Latham S. The Most Significant Vehicle Operating Parameter for Real-World Emission Levels SAE technical paper 2004-01-0636
- Takada Y. Miyazaki T. Lida N. Study on Local Air Pollution Caused by NOx from Diesel Freight Vehicle SAE technical paper 2002-01-0651
- Dembski N. Guezennec Y. Soliman A. Analysis and Experimental Refinement of Real-World Driving Cycle SAE technical paper 2002-01-0069
- The Role the Highways Agency in Local Air Quality Management Annex2 Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs UK
- Peter Hans Cozzarini Christian Emissions and Air Quality SAE Reference book R-237 2000
- Laurikko J. Erlandsson L. Arbrahamsson R. Exhaust in Cold Ambient Conditions: Considerations for a European Test Procedure SAE Paper 95923
- Jason D.H. Checkel M.D. Quantifying Vehicle Emission Factors for Various Ambient Conditions using an On-Road, Real-Time Emissions system SAE Paper 2003-01-0301
- Daham B. Andrews G.E. Li H. Bellesteros R. Bell M. Tate J. Ropkins K. Application of a Portable FTIR for Measuring on road Emissions SAE technical paper 2005-01-0676
- Andrews G.E. Zhu G. Li H Simpson A. Wylie J.A. Bell M. Tate J. The Effect of Ambient Temperature on Cold Start Urban Traffic Emissions for a Real World SI Car SAE Paper 2004-01-2903
- Andrews G. E. Li Hu Wylie J. A. Zhu G. Bell M. Tate J. Influence of Ambient Temperature on Cold-start Emissions for a Euro 1 SI Car using In-vehicle Emissions Measurement in an Urban Traffic Jam Test Cycle SAE technical paper 2005-01-1617
- UK national atmospheric emissions inventory http://www.naei.org.uk
- Laurikko J. Nylund N. Regulated and Unregulated Emissions from Catalyst Vehicles at Low Ambient Temperature SAE Paper 930946
- Duxbury R.M.C. Morton S.G.C. Measurements of Ozone Precursor Substances, Environmental Law Fifth Oxford University Press 2004
- Li H. Ropkins K. Daham B. Andrews G. E. Bell M. Tate J. Hawley G. Evaluation of a FTIR Emission Measurement System for Legislated Emissions Using a SI Car SAE technical paper 2006-01-3368
- Li H. Andrews G. E. Daham B. Bell M. Tate J. Ropkins K. Study of the Emissions Generated at Intersections for a SI Car under Real World Urban Driving Conditions SAE technical paper 2006-01-1080