This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characteristics of Droplet and Icing Formation of an injector for Liquid Phase LPG Injection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 23, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of clean gaseous fuel in automotive engines has been continuously increased in order to meet the reinforcing emission regulations and to efficiently utilize limited natural resources. Since the liquid phase LPG injection (LPLI) system has an advantage of higher power and lower emission characteristics than the mixer type fuel supply system, many studies and applications have been conducted. However, the heat extraction, due to the evaporation of liquid LPG fuel, causes not only a dropping of LPG fuel but also icing phenomenon that is a frost of moisture in the air around the nozzle tip. Because both lead to a difficulty in the control of accurate air fuel ratio, it can result in poor engine performance and a large amount of HC emissions.
The main objective of this study is to examine the characteristics of icing phenomenon and also aims to improve it through the use of anti-icing injection tip. An experimental investigation was carried out on the bench test rig in this study. Droplet and icing phenomena were visualized through a charge-coupled device (CCD) camera. It was found that n-butane, that has a relatively high boiling point (-0.50C) in comparison with propane and iso-butane, was a main species of droplet composition and also found that the droplet problem was improved by the use of a large inner to outer bore ratio nozzle whose surface roughness is smooth. The icing phenomena were decreased with an engine head temperature was increased, although a large amount of icing deposit was still observed in the case of 87°C. Also, it was observed that the icing phenomenon is improved by using aluminum anti-icing injection tip.
CitationPark, C., Kim, C., Choi, K., and Kang, K., "Characteristics of Droplet and Icing Formation of an injector for Liquid Phase LPG Injection System," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2050, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2050.
- Sobiesiak Andrzej Hoan Matthew W. Battoei-Avarzaman Mohsen “Injector Durability and Emissions from Liquid LPG Port Injected Spark Ignition Engine” SAE 2003-01-3090 2003
- Lee Eunju Park Jinwoo Huh Kang Y. Choi Jaejoon Bae Choongsik “Simulation of Fuel/Air Mixture Formation for Heavy Duty Liquid Phase LPG Injection (LPLI) Engines” SAE 2003-01-0636 2003
- Sierens R. “An Experimental and theoretical study of liquid LPG injection” SAE 922363 1992
- Kang Kernyong Lee Daeyup Oh Seungmook Kim Changup “Performance of a liquid phase LPG injection engine for heavy-duty vehicles” SAE 2001-01-1958 2001
- Park Jungcheol Kim Wooseok Lee Jonghwa Lee Byungohk Park Koungseok “Visualization of the Icing at LPLi Engine Injector and the Effect of the Inflow of Ice Particle into Cylinder on the Combustion and the Exhaust Gas” Transactions of KSAE 12 2 39 44 2004
- Yi Jongpil Lee Jonghwa Park Jinil “A Study on Icing Phenomenon on LPLi Injector Tip with Shuto-ff Valve” KSAE Autumn Conference Proceeding 798 803 2005
- Kim Wooseok Park Jungcheol Park Simsoo Yoo Jaisuk Lee Jonghwa “A Study on the Development of Icing by Injection of LPG in the Liquid Phase around Injector (I)” Transactions of KSAE 11 1 87 94 2003
- Kim Changup Lee Daeyup Oh Seungmook Kang Kernyong “Investigation of Icing Phenomenon in Liquid Phase LPG Injection System for Heavy Duty Engine” Proceedings of ILASS-Asia 2001 2001
- Kim Changup Oh Seungmook Lee Yonggyu Kang Kernyong Lee Daeyup “Characteristics of Icing Phenomenon on Injector in a Liquid Phase LPG Injection SI Engine” SAE 2003-01-1919 2003
- Lee Seang-wock Kusaka Jin Daisho Yasuhiro “Mixture formation and combustion characteristics of directly injected LPG spray” SAE 2003-01-1917 2003
- Oh Seungmook Lee Yonggyu Kang Kernyong Woo Youngmin Bae Choongsik “Fuel Stratification in a Liquid-Phase LPG Injection Engine” SAE 2003-01-1777 2003
- Kajiwara M. Sugiyama K. Sagara M. Mori M. Goto S. Alam M. “Performance and Emissions Characteristics of an LPG Direct Injection Diesel Engines” SAE 2002-01-0879 2002
- Park Cheolwoong Kim Changup Choi Kyonam Kang Kernyong “Characteristics of Post-Accumulation and Icing Phenomenon of an Injector for Liquid Phase LPG Injection System” KSAE Spring Conference Proceeding 1860 1865 2006
- Cipollone Roberto Villante Cario “A/F and Liquid-Phase Control in LPG Injected Spark Ignition ICE” SAE 2000-01-2794 2000
- Kawano Daisuke Goto Yuichi Odaka Matsuo Senda Jiro “Modeling Atomization and Vaporization Processes of Flash-Boiling Spray” SAE 2004-01-0534 2004
- Kawano Daisuke Senda Jiro Wada Yoshimitsu Fujimoto Hajime “Numerical Simulation of Multicomponent Fuel Spray” SAE 2003-01-1838 2003