This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
ASPECTS OF THE USE OF ETHANOL IN SPARK IGNITION ENGINE
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 23, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Like all alcohols, ethanol offers significant opportunities in order to decrease the main emissions levels, to the improvement of the energetic performances of the internal combustion engines and to diminish the consumption of the classic petroleum products. Higher ethanol combustion qualities allow engine operation at leaner dosages compared to the case of using only gasoline, this fact assuring an increase of the engine efficiency.
Research works performed at POLITEHNICA University from Bucharest have used ethanol-gasoline mixtures in different proportion (E20, E85) for supplying a spark ignition engine. The studies have emphasized the possibility of engine to work with leaner dosage than in that case when only gasoline is used, performing an increase of engine performances and decreasing the fume exhaust (carbon monoxide CO, hydrocarbons HC and nitrogen oxides NOx). Moreover, using ethanol - gasoline mixtures an increase of the engine power is obtained compared with gasoline only, at the same energetic consumption.
The paper presents a thermo-dynamic gas analysis of the processes developed inside the cylinder of the SI engine and some results of the experimental investigations.
CitationPANA, C., NEGURESCU, N., POPA, M., CERNAT, A. et al., "ASPECTS OF THE USE OF ETHANOL IN SPARK IGNITION ENGINE," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2040, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2040.
- List, Rainer Hoffman, Peter Urbanek, Michael “The Effects of Bio-Ethanol Mixtures on the SI-Engine Operation” 6th International Colloquium Fuels January 10-11 2007 2007 345 350
- Bertilsson B. Gustavsson, Lars “Experiences of Heavy- Duty alcohol-Fueled Diesel-Ignition Engines” SAE paper No. 871672 1987
- Radwan, M., S. “Performance and Knock Limits of Ethanol-Gasoline Blends in Spark Ignition Engines” SAE paper No. 850213 1985
- Brinkman, N., D. “Ethanol Fuel- a Single-Cylinder Engine Study of Efficiency and Exhaust Emissions SAE Paper No. 810345 1981
- Wicher Ryan B. Hutchison P. Aaron Acosta Oscar A. Practical Considerations for an E85-Fueled Vehicle Conversion Alternative Fuels 1999 SAE, inc. 65 71
- Pana C. Negurescu N. Popa M. G. Cernat Al. Boboc G. Soare D. “Influences of Ethanol Addition in Gasoline on Spark Ignition Engine Performance” The 9th International Congress on Automotive CAR'2005, CAR 20051059 2005 Pitesti
- Negurescu, N. Pana, C. Popa, M., G. Cernat, A. Soare, D. “Aspects of Using Ethanol in SI Engines” FISITA Congress 2006 Yokohama, Japan
- Pana, C. Negurescu, N. Popa, M.G. Cernat, A. Soare, D. “Ecological SI engine fuelled with ethanol and gasoline” CNCSIS 2006