This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance and Exhaust Gas Emissions of Using Biodiesel Fuel from Physic Nut (Jatropha Curcas L.) Oil on a Direct Injection Diesel Engine (DI)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 23, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Biodiesel is an alternative diesel fuel derived from vegetable oil or animal fat by chemical reaction termed transesterification. Comparing with diesel fuel, biodiesel has many advantage such as: It can supply new energy source; It is renewable fuel and can reduce net CO2 cycle; It helps reduce exhaust gas emission to meet the future legislation due to oxygen content and high cetane number; It decrease impact to the environment due to high biodegradable.
Southeast Asia, located in tropical area, has potential source to produce biodiesel. In Indonesia, Physic Nut oil now is considered as one of the most advantage source to make biodiesel due to it is non-edible and in-commercially exploited. The using of biodiesel from Physic Nut oil on diesel engine can supply as a new energy source replaced for diesel fuel and substituted palm oil as biodiesel raw material during the periods of high food sector demand. Furthermore, the using of Physic Nut oil will develop domestic economic in rural area.
In this research, a single cylinder direct injection diesel engine was fueled with pure biodiesel from Physic Nut oil and its blend (B10, B20, B50) with diesel fuel to compare engine performance and engine exhaust gas emission when it was run with petrodiesel fuel. The results form this research show that biodiesel fuel from Physic Nut oil and its blend with petrodiesel can comparable engine performance parameters such as Torque (T), Fuel Volumetric Consumption (FVC), Brake Specific Energy Consumption (BSEC) and Thermal Efficiency (ηe) with pure diesel. Engine exhaust gas emissions of Total Hydrocarbon (THC), Carbon Monoxide (CO) and Smoke Emissions reduce significantly when engine was run with biodiesel fuel. Meanwhile the using of biodiesel cause slightly increase Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) emission.
- Iman K. Reksowardojo - Institut Teknologi Bandung
- Ichsan H. Lubis - Institut Teknologi Bandung
- Wishnu Manggala - Institut Teknologi Bandung
- Tirto P. Brodjonegoro - Institut Teknologi Bandung
- Tatang H. Soerawidjaja - Institut Teknologi Bandung
- W. Arismunandar - Institut Teknologi Bandung
- Nguyen Ngoc Dung - Kyoto University
- H. Ogawa - Hokkaido University
CitationReksowardojo, I., Lubis, I., Manggala, W., Brodjonegoro, T. et al., "Performance and Exhaust Gas Emissions of Using Biodiesel Fuel from Physic Nut (Jatropha Curcas L.) Oil on a Direct Injection Diesel Engine (DI)," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2025, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2025.
- Mc. Cormick, R. L. Graboski, M.S. Alleman, T. L. Herring A. M. “Impact of Biodiesel Source Material and Chemical Structure on Emissions of Criteria Pollutants from a heavy-duty Engine” Environmental Science & Technology Vol. 35 No. 9 1742 1747 2001
- Serdari A. Fragioudakis K. Kalligeros S. Lois E. “Impact of Using Biodiesel of Different Origin and Additives on the Performance of a Stationary Diesel Engine” Transaction of ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power Vol. 122 624 631 2000
- Prawoto, Shalahuddin L. Nugroho, R.C. “Ignition delay of a Direct Injection Diesel Engine Run with Blending Diesel Oil and Palm Oil Methyl Ester” Jurnal Teknik Mesin Vol. XIX 1 6 2004
- Reksowardojo, I. K. Hanif, Al Afghani Rahman I. H. Brodjonegoro T. P. Soerawidjaja T. H. Arismunandar W. “The Performance and Exhaust Gas Emission of a Diesel Engine Using Biodiesel Fuel from Crude Palm Oil (CPO) and Refined Bleach Deodorized Palm Oil (RBDPO)” Proceeding FISITA Congress 23 - 27 May 2004 Barcelona 2004
- Iman K.R Dung Nguyen Ngoc Budi K. The Influence Of Using Biodiesel Fuel From Physic Nuts Oil On A Direct Injection Diesel Engine the 5th International Conference on Automobile Technology for Vietnam Oct 2005
- Reksowardojo1 I. K. Kusuma R.P. Buddy Mahendra I. Made Brodjonegoro T. P. Soerawidjaja T. H. Syaharuddin I. Arismunandar W. The Effect of Biodiesel Fuel from Physic Nut (Jatropha Curcas) On an Direct Injection (DI) Diesel Engine The 13th International Pacific Conferrence on Automobile Engineering Korea 2005
- Reksowardojo I.K. Shofwatuzaki Darnoko D. Brodjonegoro T. P. Soerawidjaja T. H. Syaharuddin I. Arismunandar W. Biodiesel Fuel from Refined Bleach Deodorized Palm Oil (RBDPO) on an Direct Injection (DI) Diesel Engine for Electric Generator and Vehicles The 13th International Pacific Conferrence on Automobile Engineering Korea 2005
- Mittelbach Martin Remschmidt C. Biodiesel The Comprehensive Handbook Boersedruck Ges.m.b.H Vienna 2004
- Knothe Gerhard Van Gerpen Jon Krahl Jurgen The Biodiesel Handbook AOCS Press 2005
- Bushanan Andrew Edwards Sean Verder Kashav Dr. Engine Performance and Exhaust Gas Emissions from a Biodiesel Fueled Direct Injection Diesel Engine University of Michigan Dearborn 2004
- Hallgren Brian E. Effects of Oxygenated Fuels on DI Diesel Combustion and Emissions M.I.T. 2000
- Schumacher, L. G Hires, W. G Borgelt, S. C. 1992 Fueling a diesel engine with methyl-ester soybean oil Liquid Fuels From Renewable Resources-Proceedings of an Alternative Energy Conference Nashville, TN
- Radich Anthony Biodiesel Performance, Cost, and Use
- Reksowardojo, I.K. Dung Nguyen Ngoc Tuyen Tran Quang Sopheak Rey Brodjonegoro T. P. Soerawidjaja T.H. Ogawa H. Arismunandar W The Comparison, The Effect of Biodiesiel Fuel From Palm Oil and Physic Nut Oil (Jatropha Curcas) on an Direct Injection (DI) Diesel Engine Proceeding Congress FISITA. 2006 Yokohama 2006
- Kumar M. S. Ramesh A. Nagalim B. Experimental Investigation on a Jatropha Oil Methanol Dual Fuel Engine SAE paper 2001-0100153 2001
- Prakoso T. Soerawidjaja T.H. Reksowardojo I. K et al “Pilot Scale Biodiesel Processing Units by Utilizing Multistage Non-uniform Reaction Temperature Method” Proceeding of World Renewable Energy Regional Congress Jakarta, Indonesia 2005