This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Injection, Combustion and (Nano) Particle Emissions of a Modern HD-Diesel Engine With GTL, RME & ROR
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 23, 2007 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Due to the limited energy resources as well as due to increasing CO2-emissions the importance of alternative- and biogene fuels increases continuously.
Investigations of the engine operation were performed on a latest technology Liebherr engine for construction machines, which was operated using crude rapseed oil (ROR), rapseed methyl ester (RME) and synthetic Gas-To-Liquid fuel (GTL) without any change of ECU setting. On this occasion the combustion diagnostics, behaviour of the injection system and the pollutant emissions, including the unlimited nano-particles were especially assessed.
For injection (with this unit pumps system) it can be stated, that ROR and a little bit less RME shorten the injection lag and increase the maximum injection pressure. At higher engine load this causes the 50% heat release a little earlier (1-2°CA) and as consequence higher NOx and lower specific energy consumption.
Nevertheless the limited emissions CO, HC, NOx, PM as well as the integrated nanoparticles counts and energy consumption show different results and different relationships between the fuels depending on the engine operating conditions.
Due to that a simple classification of the investigated fuels, like “best-worst” is not possible.
- J. Czerwinski - University of Applied Sciences, Biel-Bienne, Switzerland
- Y. Zimmerli - University of Applied Sciences, Biel-Bienne, Switzerland
- T. Neubert - University of Applied Sciences, Biel-Bienne, Switzerland
- A. Heitzer - Swiss Petrol Union, Zürich, CH
- M. Kasper - Matter Engineering AG,Wohlen, CH
CitationCzerwinski, J., Zimmerli, Y., Neubert, T., Heitzer, A. et al., "Injection, Combustion and (Nano) Particle Emissions of a Modern HD-Diesel Engine With GTL, RME & ROR," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2015, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2015.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Lepperhoff, G. Körfer, Th. Pischinger, S. Busch, H. Keppeler, S. Schaberg, P. Schnell, M. Potential of Synthetic Fuels in Future Combustion Systems for HSDI Diesel Engines FEV RWTH Aachen Daimler Chrysler Sasol Chevron SAE Techn. Paper 2006-01-0232 Detroit April 2006
- Herrmann, H-O. Keppeler, S. Botha, J.J. Schaberg, P. Schnell, M. The Potential of Synthetic Fuels to meet Future Emission Regulations Daimler Chrysler Sasol Chevron 27 Intern. Wiener Motoren-symposium 2006
- Geringer, B. 29-30 März 2006
- Krahl, J. Munack, A. Schröder, O. Stein, H. Bünger, J. 2003 Dez. 2003
- Hausberger, S. Mai 2003
- EPA A Comprehensive Analysis of Biodiesel Impacts on Exhaust Emissions US Environmental- Protection Agency Report EPA 420-P-02-001 Oct. 2002
- Czerwinski, J. Pétermann, J.-L. Kasper, M. Mosimann, Th. Mayer, A. Apr. 2004 Apr. 2005
- Mayer, A. Czerwinski, J. Wyser, M. Mattrel, P. Heitzer, A. Impact of RME/Diesel Blends on Particle Formation, Particle Filtration and PAH Emissions TTM AFHB BUWAL EMPA EV SAE Paper 2005-01-1728 Detroit Apr. 2005
- Trapel, E. Roth, P.
- 2 www.ufop.de 12 2004
- Mittelbach, M. Remschmidt, C. 2004 Biodiesel: The comprehensive handbook Börsedruck GmbH Wien 3-200-00249-2
- www.biodiesel.ch www.ecoenergie.ch
- Feb. 1994
- Nov. 2000
- 25-26 Feb. 2002 Straubing, D. Shaker Verlag Aachen 3-8322-1194-2
- Hemmerlein, N. Korte, V. Richter, H. Schröder, G. Performance, Exhaust Emissions and Durability of Modern Diesel Engines Running on Rapeseed Oil SAE Techn. Paper 910848 Detroit Feb. 1991
- Maurer, K. Sept. 2003
- Czerwinski, J. Performance of HD-DI-Diesel Engine with Addition of Ethanol and Rapeseed Oil SAE Techn. Paper 940545 Detroit Feb. 1994
- Bialkowski, M.T. Pekdemir, T. Reuben, R. Brautsch, M. Towers, D.P. Elsbett, G. Preliminary Approach Towards a CDI System Modification Operating on Neat Rapeseed Oil Journal of KONES International Combustion Engines 2005 12 31
- Friess, W. Herrmann, H.-O. Maly, R.R. Schnell, M. Schaberg, P. Dez. 2003