This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Detailed Kinetic Study on the Effect of DTBP on PRF Combustion in HCCI Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 23, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effect of Di-tertiary Butyl Peroxide (DTBP) on Primary Reference Fuels (PRFs) in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) engines was investigated numerically and was compared with trends from previous experimental observations. A detailed kinetic mechanism for PRF combustion containing more than a thousand species and four thousand reactions was combined with a twenty one species, sixty-nine reaction mechanism for DTBP decomposition. This mechanism predicted the observed experimental trends reasonably well and was used to examine how DTBP addition acts to advance combustion timing and to induce hot ignition for lean and high octane number mixtures. The study suggests that DTBP's predominant mode of action for low Octane Number (ON) fuels is thermal, while for high ON fuels it is chemical. The extended kinetic model compiled for this study and the results obtained can be used to aid in the understanding and development of tailored additives for HCCI engines.
|Technical Paper||HCCI Fuels Evaluations-Gasoline Boiling Range Fuels|
|Special Publication||Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (Hcci) Combustion 2002|
|Special Publication||Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (Hcci) Combustion 2003|
CitationGupta, A., Miller, D., and Cernansky, N., "A Detailed Kinetic Study on the Effect of DTBP on PRF Combustion in HCCI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2002, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2002.
- Assanis, N.D. Najt, P.M. Dec, J.E. Eng, J.A. Asmus, T.N. Zhao, F. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines: Key Research and Development Issues PT-94 SAE International USA 2003
- Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Combustion 2006 SP-2005 SAE International USA 2006
- Tanaka, S. Ayala, F. Keck, J.C. Heywood, J.B. “Two-Stage Ignition in HCCI Combustion and HCCI Control by Fuels and Additives,” Combust. Flame 132 219 2003
- Dagaut, P. “On the Kinetics of Hydrocarbon Oxidation from Natural Gas to Kerosene and Diesel Fuel,” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 4 2079 2002
- Gong, X. The Effects of DTBP on SI Primary Reference Fuels - A Study in an HCCI Engine and a Pressurized Flow Reactor Drexel University Philadelphia, PA 2005
- Griffiths, J.F. Phillips, C.H. “Experimental and Numerical Study of the Combustion of Ditertiary Butyl Peroxide in the presence of Oxygen at Low Pressures in a Mechanically Stirred Closed Vessel,” Combust. Flame 81 304 1990
- Koert, D.N. Cernansky, N.P. “A Flow Reactor for the Study of Homogeneous Gas-Phase Oxidation of Hydrocarbons at Pressures up to 20 Atm (2MPa)” Meas. Sci. Tech. 3 6 607 1992
- Gong, X. Zheng, J. Lenhert, D.B. Miller, D.L. Cernansky, N.P. “The Effect of DTBP Additive on the Oxidation of Gasoline Primary Reference Fuels in a Pressurized Flow Reactor,” Proceedings of 4 th Joint Meeting of US Sections of Combustion Institute Philadelphia 2005 Paper USSCI C03
- Gong, X. Miller, D.L. Cernansky, N.P. “The Effect of DTBP Additive on the Combustion of SI Primary Reference Fuels in an HCCI Engine,” SAE Paper 2005-01-3740 2005
- Fiveland, S.B. Assanis, D.N. “Development and Validation of a Quasi-Dimensional Model for HCCI Engine Performance and Emission Studies under Turbocharged Conditions,” SAE Paper 2002-01-1757 2002
- Woschni, G. “Universally Applicable Equation for the instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Paper 670931 , SAE Trans. 76 1967
- Heywood, J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill New York 1988
- Curran, H. J. Gaffuri, P. Pitz, W. J. Westbrook, C. K. “A Comprehensive Modeling Study of iso-Octane Oxidation,” Combust. Flame 129 253 2002