This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Residual Gas Fraction Measurement and Estimation in Spark Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 23, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To meet future pollutant emissions standards, it is crucial to be able to estimate not only the cycle by cycle mass, but also the cycle by cycle composition of the combustion chamber charge. This charge consists of fresh air, fuel and residual gas from the previous cycle. Unfortunately, the residual gas fraction cannot be directly measured.
Therefore, an experimental method has been designed to determine the residual gas fraction. The method is based on an in-cylinder sampling method coupled with CO2 analysis.
A residual gas fraction model as a function of engine parameters and operating parameters has been developed. The parameters of the model have been fitted on the experimental results.
CitationGiansetti, P. and Higelin, P., "Residual Gas Fraction Measurement and Estimation in Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1900, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1900.
- Kwon S. Aral M. Hiroyasu H. “Ignition Delay of a Diesel Spray Injected Into a Residual Gas Mixture,” SAE Paper 911841
- Liu Z. Karim A. “An Examination of the Role of Residual Gases in the Combustion Processes of Motored Engines Fuelled with Gaseous Fuels,” SAE Paper 961081
- Shayler P.J. Lai W-C. Brown N. Harbor N. “Limits on Charge Dilution, Fuel and Air Proportions for Stable Combustion in Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Paper 2004-01-1533
- Giansetti P. Higelin P. Charlet A. Chamaillard Y. “Estimation and prediction of in-cylinder chemical species in a gasoline engine for control purpose” IFAC Symposium on “ADVANCES IN AUTOMOTIVE CONTROL” University of Salerno Italy
- Cho H. Lee K. Lee J. Yoo J. Min K. “Measurements and Modeling of Residual Gas Fraction in SI Engines” SAE paper 2001-01-1910
- Galliot F. Cheng W.K. Cheng C.O. “In Cylinder Measurements Of Residual Gas Concentration In a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE paper 900485
- Fox J.W. Cheng W.K. Heywood J.B. “A Model For Predicting Residual Gas Fraction In Spark -Ignition Engines” SAE paper 931025
- Brown C.N. Ladommatos N. “The Effects of Mixture Preparation and Trapped Residuals on the Performance of a Spark-Ignition Engine with Air-Shroutded Port Injectors, at Low Load and Low Speed” ImechE 1991
- Waero R.R. “The Effect Of Spark Timing On Residual Gas Fraction” MIT 2000
- Sandquist H. Wallesten J. Enwald K. Strömberg S. “Influence of Overlap Strategies on Residual Gas Fraction and Combustion in a Spark-Ignition Engine at Idle” SAE Paper 972936
- Miller R. Russ S. Weaver C. Kaiser E. Newman C. Davis G. Lavoie G. “Comparaison of Analytically and Experimentally Obtained Residual Fractions and NOx Emissions in Spark-Ignited Engines SAE Paper 982562
- Toda T. Nohira H. Kobashi K. “Evaluation of Burned Gas Ratio (BGR) as a Predominant Factor to NOx” SAE Paper 760765
- Schwarz F. Spicher U. “Determination of Residual Gas Fraction in IC Engines” SAE paper 2003-01-3148
- Westin F. Grandin B. Angstrom H.E. “The Influence of Residual Gases on Knock in Turbocharged SI Engines” SAE Paper 2000-01-2840
- Matsui K. Tanaka T. Ohigashi S. “Measurement of Local Mixture Strength at Spark Gap of S.I. Engines” SAE Paper 790483
- Quader A.A. Majkowshi R.F. “Cycle-by-Cycle Mixture Strength and Residual-Gas Measurements During Cold Starting” SAE Paper 1999-01-1107
- Karagiorgis S. Collings N. Glover K. Coghlan N. Petridis A. “Residual Gas Fraction Measurement and Estimation on a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine Utilizing the Negative Valve Overlap Strategy” SAE Paper 2006-01-3276
- Ford R. Collings N. “Measurement of Residual Gas Fraction Using a Fast Response NO Sensor” SAE Paper 1999-01-0208
- Yap D. Megaritis A. Wyszynski M.L. Xu H. “Residual Gas Trapping for Natural Gas HCCI” SAE Paper 2004-01-1973
- Ohyama Y. “Air/Fuel Ratio and Residual Gas Fraction Control Using Physical Models for Engines with Widely Variable Valve Timing” SAE Paper 2002-01-2174
- Zhu Y. Reitz R.D. 1999 “A 1-D Gas Dynamics Code for Subsonic and Supersonic Flows Applied to Predict EGR Levels in a Heavy -Duty Diesel Engine” Int. J. of Vehicle Design 22 3 4 227 252
- Duclos J.M. Bruneaux G. Baritaud T.A. “3D Modelling of combustion and Pollutants in a4 Valve SI Engine; Effect of Fuel and Residuals Distribution and Spark Location” SAE Paper 961964
- Senecal P.K. Xin J. Reitz R.D. “Predictions of Residual Gas Fraction in IC Engines” SAE paper 962052
- Babajimopoulos A. Lavoie G.A. Assanis D. “Modelling HCCI Combustion with High Level of Residual Gas Fraction-A Comparaison of Two VVA Strategies” SAE Paper 2003-01-3220
- Shayler P.J. Winborn L.D. Hill M.J. Eade D. “The influence of Gas/Fuel Ratio on Combustion Stability and Misfire Limits of Spark Ignition Engines” Paper 2000-01-1208 SAE 2000 World Congress
- Shayler P.J. Chick J. Darnton N.J. Eade D. “Generic Functions for Fuel Consumption and Engine-out Emissions of HC, CO and NOx of Spark -ignition Engine” Proc IMechE part D 213 365 378 1999
- Heywood J.B. “Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals” Mac Gram Hill 1988