This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of the effect of injection pressure on near-nozzle droplet atomization in diesel fuel spray using micro-probe L2F
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 23, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An advanced laser 2-focus velocimeter (L2F) has been applied to the measurement of droplet velocities and sizes in a dense region of diesel fuel spray. The maximum rate of data sampling of the L2F was set at 15 MHz. The fuel was injected into the atmosphere by using a common rail injector. The rail pressure was set at 40 and 70 MPa. The nozzle hole diameter of the injector was 0.113 mm. The L2F can detect droplets just after the spray tip reaches the measurement position 30 mm downstream from the nozzle. The result of the measurement shows that the higher injection pressure leads the higher droplet velocity in the core of the spray. It is clearly shown that the smaller droplets after active disintegration are dispersed spatially under higher injection pressure.
CitationUeki, H., Ishida, M., Sakaguchi, D., and Oluwole, A., "A Study of the effect of injection pressure on near-nozzle droplet atomization in diesel fuel spray using micro-probe L2F," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1894, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1894.
- Tanabe K Kohketsu S Nakayama S 2005 Effect of Fuel Injection Rate Control on Reduction of Emissions and Fuel Con-sumption in a Heavy Duty DI Diesel Engine SAE, SP-1977 , Diesel Fuel Injection and Sprays 2005 1 11
- Blessing, M. Konig, G. Kruger, C. Michels, U. Schwarz, V. 2003 Analysis of Flow and Cavitation Phenomena in Diesel Injection Nozzles and Its Effects on Spray and Mixture Formation SAE Paper No. 2003-01-1358 1694 1706
- Han, J-S. Lu, P-H. Xie, X-B. Lai, M-C. Henein, N.A. 2002 Investigation of Diesel spray Primary Break-up and Development for Different Nozzle Geometries SAE Paper No. 2002-01-2775 2528 2548
- Wang, J. 2004 Ultrafast X-radiography of High-Pressure High-Speed Fuel Sprays Proceedings of 9th Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization of Spray Systems-Asia 394 405
- Hung, C. C. Martin, J. K. Koo, J. Y. 1997 Injection Pressure Effects Upon Droplet Behavior in Transient Diesel Sprays SAE Paper No. 970053 168 181
- Levy, N. Amara, D. Champoussin, J.-C. Guerrassi, N. 1997 Non-Reactive Diesel Spray Computations Supported by PDA Measurements SAE Paper No. 970049 1 14
- Cao, J. 2002 On the Theoretical Prediction of Fuel Droplet Size Distribution in Nonreactive Diesel Sprays Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Fluids Engineering 124 2 182 185
- Lacoste, J. Crua, C. Heikal, M. Kennaird, D. Gold, M. 2003 PDA Characterisation of Dense Diesel Sprays Using a Common-Rail Injection System SAE Paper No. 2003-01-3085 2074 2085
- Shodl, R. 1974 L2F A Laser-Dual-Beam Method for Flow Measurements in Turbomachines ASME Paper No.74-GT-157
- Ueki H. Ishida M. Sakaguchi D. 1997 Measurement of Temperature and Velocity Fluctuations in a Turbulent Diffusion Flame by Optical Fiber Thermometer and Laser 2-Focus Velocimeter Proceedings of SPIE, Optical Technology in Fluid, Thermal, and Combustion Flow III 3172 360 369
- Chaves, H. Kirmse, C. Obermeier, F. 2001 Velocity Measurements of Dense Diesel Sprays in Pressurized Air Proceed-ings of Spray 2001 TU Hamburg-Harburg II.2-1 II.2-8
- Schugger, C. Meingast, U. Renz, U. 2000 Time-Resolved Velocity Measurements in the Primary Breakup Zone of a High Pressure Diesel Injection Nozzle Proceedings of ILASS-Europe 2000 Darmstadt 1 5
- Ueki H Ishida M Sakaguchi 2004 Investigation of Atomization Characteristics in Dense Diesel Spray from Common Rail Injector using Micro-Probe L2F Proceedings of THIESEL 2006 111 122
- Ueki, H. Ishida, M. Sakaguchi, D. Investigation of Droplet disintegration in Diesel Spray Core by Advanced Laser 2-Focus Velocimeter SAE Paper No. 2005-01-1238 1 11 2005