This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Railplug Ignition Operating Characteristics and Performance:A Review
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 23, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The basic process of spark ignition in engines has changed little over the more than 100 years since its first application. The rapid evolution of several advanced engine concepts and the refinement of existing engine designs, especially applications of power boost technology, have led to a renewed interest in advanced spark ignition concepts. The increasingly large rates of in-cylinder dilution via EGR and ultra-lean operation, combined with increases in boost pressures are placing new demands on spark ignition systems. The challenge is to achieve strong and consistent ignition of the in-cylinder mixture in every cycle, to meet performance and emissions goals while maintaining or improving the durability of ignitor.
The application of railplug ignition to some of these engine systems is seen as a potential alternative to conventional spark ignition systems that may lead to improved ignition performance. The railplug ignitor was invented and first investigated at the University of Texas at Austin in the early 1990s. This paper provides a review of the development of this ignition concept and an overview of recent developments. The paper examines the evolution of railplug geometries and designs, and operating parameters. The emphasis is on the characteristics of railplug discharge and effects on engine operation and performance.
CitationHall, M., Matthews, R., and Ezekoye, O., "Railplug Ignition Operating Characteristics and Performance:A Review," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1832, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1832.
- Web, T.W, Kiehne, T.M., and Haag S.T., “System Level Thermal Management of Pulsed Loads on an All-Electric Ship,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 1-5, 2007
- Harden, B., Matthews, R.D., Nichols, S.P., and Weldon, W.F., “A miniature railgun engine ignitor,” US Patent Number 5,076,223, 1991.
- Dale, J.D., and Oppenheim, “Enhanced Ignition for I.C. Engines with Premixed Gases, SAE paper 810146, 1981.
- Namekawa, S. Ryu, H., and Asanuma, T., “LDA Measurement of Turbulent Flow in a Motored and Firing Spark-Ignition Engine with a Horizontal Prechamber,” SAE paper 881636, 1988.
- Asik, J.R., Piathowski, P., Foucher, M.J., and Rado, W.G., “Design of a Plasma Jet Ingition System for automotive Applications,” DAE paepr 770355, 1977
- Edward, C.F., Oppenheim, A.K., and Dale, J.D., “A Comparative Study of Plasma Ignition Systems,” SAE paper 830479, 1983.
- Kupe, J., Wilhelm, H., and Adams, W., “Operational Characteristics of a Lean Burn S.I. Egnine: Comarison between Plasma Jet a dn Conventional Ignition Systems,” SAE paper 870608, 1987.
- Smy, P.R., Clements, R.M., and Topham, D.R., “Efficiency and Erosion of Plasma Jet Ignitors,” Comb. Sci. and Tech. Vol. 42, pp. 317-324, 1985.
- Dale, J.D., Smy, P.R., and Clements, R.M., “The Effects of a Coaxial Spark Igniter on the Performance of and the Emissions from an Internal Combustion Engine,” Combustion and Flame, Vol, 31, pp. 173-185, 1985.
- Tozzi, L. and Dabora, E.K., “Plasma Jet Ignition in a Lean-Burn CFR Engine,” Nineteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, Pittsburgh, pp. 1467-1471, 1982.
- Hall, M.J., Tajima, H., Koeroghlian, M.M., Matthews, R.D., Nichols, S.P., and Weldon, W.F., “Initial Studies of a New Type of Ignitor: The Railplug,” SAE Journal of Engines, Paper 912319, Vol. 100, Sec. 3, pp. 1730-1746, 1991.
- Ellzey, J.L., Hall, M.J., Zhao, X., and Tajima, H., “Computational and Experimental Study of a Railplug Igniter,” Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 4, pp. 416-422, 1993.
- Shen, K., Matthews, R.D., Chiu, J.P., Darden, M.H., Faidley, R.W., Nichols, S.P., and Weldon, W.F., “Initial Study of Railplugs as an Aid for Cold Starting of Diesels,” SAE paper 940108, 1994.
- Zheng, J., Capiaux, S., Chiu, J.P., Matthews, R.D., Faidley, M.H., Weldon, W.F., and Nichols, S.P., “Effects of Railplugs on the Dilution Tolerance of a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE paper 931800, 1993.
- Chiu, J.P., Darden, M.H., Matthews, R.D., Childs, H.E., Faidley, R.W., Zheng, J., Weigand, G., Weldon, W.F., and Nichols, S.P., “Examination of the factors that Influence the Durability of Railplugs,” SAE paper 940201.
- Matthews, R.D., Hall, M.J., Faidley, R., Chiu, J.P., Annezer, I., Zhao, X.W., Koenig, M.H., Harber, J.F., Darden, M.H., Weldon, W.F., and Nichols, S.P., “Further Analysis of Railplugs as a New Type of Ignitor,” SAE Journal of Engines, Paper 922167, Vol. 101, Sec. 3, pp. 1851-1862, 1992.
- Gao, H., Hall, M.J., Ezekoye, O.A., and Matthews, R.D. “Railplug Design Optimization to Improve Large-Bore Natural Gas Engine Performance”, ASME Paper ICES 2005-1031, presented at the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Conference, Chicago, Illinois, 2005.
- Hari, S., Hall, M.J., Ezekoye, O.A., and Matthews, R.D. “Analysis of Factors that Affect the Performance of Railplugs,” Society of Automotive Engineers Paper 2005-01-0252, 2005.
- Gao, H., Matthews, R.D., Hall, M.J., and Hari, S., “From Spark Plugs to Rail Plugs - The Characteristics of a New Ignition System”, SAE Paper 2004-01-2978, 2004.
- Gao, H, Hari, S., Matthew, R.D., and Hall, M.J. “Use of Railplugs to Extend the Lean Limit of Natural Gas Engines,” Proceedings of ICEF, paper ICEF 2004-881, ASME, October 24-27, 2004, Long Beach, CA 2004.
- Ekici, O., Ezekoye, O.A. Hall, M.J., and Matthews, R.D., “Computational Study of Arc Propagation in a Railplug Igniter,” manuscript in preparation for Journal of Applied Physics D, 2007
- Gao, H., Ezekoye, O.A., Hall, M.J., and Matthews, R.D. “A New Ignitor for Large-Bore Natural Gas Engines - Railplug Design Improvement and Optimization,” Society of Automotive Engineers Paper 2005-01-0249, 2005.
- Moriyoshi, Y., Morita, M., Hall, M.J., and Matthews, R.D. “Effect of Enhanced Spark Ignition System on Ignition Probability of Diluted Mixtures,” presented at the JSAE Annual Congress, JSAE Paper 20055466, May, 2005.