This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Railplug Ignition Operating Characteristics and Performance:A Review
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 23, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The basic process of spark ignition in engines has changed little over the more than 100 years since its first application. The rapid evolution of several advanced engine concepts and the refinement of existing engine designs, especially applications of power boost technology, have led to a renewed interest in advanced spark ignition concepts. The increasingly large rates of in-cylinder dilution via EGR and ultra-lean operation, combined with increases in boost pressures are placing new demands on spark ignition systems. The challenge is to achieve strong and consistent ignition of the in-cylinder mixture in every cycle, to meet performance and emissions goals while maintaining or improving the durability of ignitor.
The application of railplug ignition to some of these engine systems is seen as a potential alternative to conventional spark ignition systems that may lead to improved ignition performance. The railplug ignitor was invented and first investigated at the University of Texas at Austin in the early 1990s. This paper provides a review of the development of this ignition concept and an overview of recent developments. The paper examines the evolution of railplug geometries and designs, and operating parameters. The emphasis is on the characteristics of railplug discharge and effects on engine operation and performance.
CitationHall, M., Matthews, R., and Ezekoye, O., "Railplug Ignition Operating Characteristics and Performance:A Review," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1832, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1832.
- Web, T.W Kiehne, T.M. Haag S.T. “System Level Thermal Management of Pulsed Loads on an All-Electric Ship,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 43 1 1 5 2007
- Harden, B. Matthews, R.D. Nichols, S.P. Weldon, W.F. “A miniature railgun engine ignitor,” 1991
- Dale, J.D. Oppenheim “Enhanced Ignition for I.C. Engines with Premixed Gases SAE paper 810146 1981
- Namekawa, S. Ryu, H. Asanuma, T. “LDA Measurement of Turbulent Flow in a Motored and Firing Spark-Ignition Engine with a Horizontal Prechamber,” SAE paper 881636 1988
- Asik, J.R. Piathowski, P. Foucher, M.J. Rado, W.G. “Design of a Plasma Jet Ingition System for automotive Applications,” DAE paepr 770355 1977
- Edward, C.F. Oppenheim, A.K. Dale, J.D. “A Comparative Study of Plasma Ignition Systems,” SAE paper 830479 1983
- Kupe, J. Wilhelm, H. Adams, W. “Operational Characteristics of a Lean Burn S.I. Egnine: Comarison between Plasma Jet a dn Conventional Ignition Systems,” SAE paper 870608 1987
- Smy, P.R. Clements, R.M. Topham, D.R. “Efficiency and Erosion of Plasma Jet Ignitors,” Comb. Sci. and Tech. 42 317 324 1985
- Dale, J.D. Smy, P.R. Clements, R.M. “The Effects of a Coaxial Spark Igniter on the Performance of and the Emissions from an Internal Combustion Engine,” Combustion and Flame 31 173 185 1985
- Tozzi, L. Dabora, E.K. “Plasma Jet Ignition in a Lean-Burn CFR Engine,” Nineteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute Pittsburgh 1467 1471 1982
- Hall, M.J. Tajima, H. Koeroghlian, M.M. Matthews, R.D. Nichols, S.P. Weldon, W.F. “Initial Studies of a New Type of Ignitor: The Railplug,” SAE Journal of Engines, Paper 912319 100 1730 1746 1991
- Ellzey, J.L. Hall, M.J. Zhao, X. Tajima, H. “Computational and Experimental Study of a Railplug Igniter,” Experiments in Fluids 4 416 422 1993
- Shen, K. Matthews, R.D. Chiu, J.P. Darden, M.H. Faidley, R.W. Nichols, S.P. Weldon, W.F. “Initial Study of Railplugs as an Aid for Cold Starting of Diesels,” SAE paper 940108 1994
- Zheng, J. Capiaux, S. Chiu, J.P. Matthews, R.D. Faidley, M.H. Weldon, W.F. Nichols, S.P. “Effects of Railplugs on the Dilution Tolerance of a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE paper 931800 1993
- Chiu, J.P. Darden, M.H. Matthews, R.D. Childs, H.E. Faidley, R.W. Zheng, J. Weigand, G. Weldon, W.F. Nichols, S.P. “Examination of the factors that Influence the Durability of Railplugs,” SAE paper 940201
- Matthews, R.D. Hall, M.J. Faidley, R. Chiu, J.P. Annezer, I. Zhao, X.W. Koenig, M.H. Harber, J.F. Darden, M.H. Weldon, W.F. Nichols, S.P. “Further Analysis of Railplugs as a New Type of Ignitor,” SAE Journal of Engines , Paper 922167 101 1851 1862 1992
- Gao, H. Hall, M.J. Ezekoye, O.A. Matthews, R.D. “Railplug Design Optimization to Improve Large-Bore Natural Gas Engine Performance” ASME Paper ICES 2005-1031, presented at the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Conference Chicago, Illinois 2005
- Hari, S. Hall, M.J. Ezekoye, O.A. Matthews, R.D. “Analysis of Factors that Affect the Performance of Railplugs,” Society of Automotive Engineers Paper 2005-01-0252 2005
- Gao, H. Matthews, R.D. Hall, M.J. Hari, S. “From Spark Plugs to Rail Plugs - The Characteristics of a New Ignition System” SAE Paper 2004-01-2978 2004
- Gao, H Hari, S. Matthew, R.D. Hall, M.J. “Use of Railplugs to Extend the Lean Limit of Natural Gas Engines,” Proceedings of ICEF, paper ICEF 2004-881, ASME October 24-27 2004 Long Beach, CA 2004
- Ekici, O. Ezekoye, O.A. Hall, M.J. Matthews, R.D. “Computational Study of Arc Propagation in a Railplug Igniter,” manuscript in preparation for Journal of Applied Physics D 2007
- Gao, H. Ezekoye, O.A. Hall, M.J. Matthews, R.D. “A New Ignitor for Large-Bore Natural Gas Engines - Railplug Design Improvement and Optimization,” Society of Automotive Engineers Paper 2005-01-0249 2005
- Moriyoshi, Y. Morita, M. Hall, M.J. Matthews, R.D. “Effect of Enhanced Spark Ignition System on Ignition Probability of Diluted Mixtures,” presented at the JSAE Annual Congress, JSAE Paper 20055466 May 2005