This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
3D analysis of vapor and liquid phase of GDI injectors using laser induced exciplex fluorescence tomography in a high pressure/high temperature spray chamber
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 23, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The quality of mixture formation in gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines has a significant influence on combustion, emissions and mileage. A new measurement technique was set up at an optically accessible high pressure / high temperature spray chamber to investigate the spatial mass distribution of vapor and liquid phase in order to optimize the stratified engine operation mode. Therefore a laser light sheet is traversed through the spray, the exciplex fluorescence is detected and the tomography results are quantified by the global information of the injected mass, which allows detailed spray investigations with λ-charts. For spray homogeneity analysis a new method based on histogram calculation is presented allowing grid independent comparison of different injector types.
CitationRogler, P., Grzeszik, R., Arndt, S., and Aigner, M., "3D analysis of vapor and liquid phase of GDI injectors using laser induced exciplex fluorescence tomography in a high pressure/high temperature spray chamber," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1827, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1827.
- Leonhard, R. Gerhardt, J. 2006
- Waltner, A. Lueckert, P. Schnaupp, U. Rau, E. 2006
- Middendorf, H. Krebs, R. Szengel, R. Pott, E. 2005
- Arndt, S. Grzeszik, R. Raimann, J. Ruthenberg, I. 14 11 2002
- Melton, L. A. Quantitative Use Of Exciplex-Based Visualization Systems (A Users Manual) U.S. Army Research Office, University of Texas Dallas
- Melton, L. A. Verdieck, J. F. Vapor/Liquid Visualization in Fuel Sprays Proceedings, XXth Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute Pittsburgh 1984
- Knapp, M. Luczak, A. Beushausen, V. Hentschel, W. Andresen, P. Vapor/Liquid Visualization with Laser-Induced Exciplex Fluorescence Imaging in a SI Engine for Different Fuel Injection Timings SAE 961122 1996
- Rogler, P. Waidmann, C. Grzeszik, R. Arndt, S. Aigner, M. Berlin 2006
- Kim, Jong-Uk Hong, Byungyou Quantitative vapour/liquid visualization using laser-induced Exciplex fluorescence J. Opt. A.: Pure Appl. Opt. 3 2001 338 345
- Schulz, C. Sick, V. Wolfrum, J. et. al. Quantitative 2D Single-Shot Imaging Of NO Concentrations In A Transparent SI Engine Twenty-Sixth Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 1996 2597 2604
- Schuerg, F. Arndt, S. Weigand, B. Berlin 2006