This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance of Conductive Pre-Primers Applied on Galvanized Steel Sheets for Automotive Bodies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The main driving forces concerning the use of pre-primed automotive sheet are corrosion protection increase and cost reduction during vehicle manufacturing. In this work, the behaviour of two conductive primers, codified by 1 and 2, was studied and compared with that of a conventional electrophoretic primer. Primer 1 is an organic zinc rich silicate with a low thickness (near 4 μm) and primer 2 is a very thin (near 2 μm) solvent based primer filled with graphite. These primers were applied on electrogalvanized, hot dip galvanized and galvannealed steel sheets.
Formability capabilities of pre-primed galvanized steel sheets were evaluated, through cupping and stone chipping tests, according to EN ISO 1520 and ASTM D3170, respectively. To evaluate corrosion protection, the samples were submitted to a corrosion cyclic test according to VDA procedure 621-415 contained in the SEP 1160. Corrosion mechanisms were studied by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) with X-ray microanalysis by dispersive energy spectrometry (EDS) associated.
Primers 1 and 2 offer cathodic protection when exposed, however by different manners, and allow previous welding works. Primer 1 acts as a zinc rich primer and primer 2 acts as a sealer of metallic zinc coatings, not allowing zinc depletion and delaying the appearance of iron corrosion from the steel substrate. After some exposure time it was possible to see on the surface of the primer 2, zinc corrosion products arising from the pores of the paint coating. Primers 1 and 2 applied with a low thickness, seem to be good alternatives to the conventional electrophoretic primers
- D. Santos - INETI - Instituto Nacional de Engenharia, Tecnologia e Inovação
- H. Raminhos - INETI - Instituto Nacional de Engenharia, Tecnologia e Inovação
- M. Costa - INETI - Instituto Nacional de Engenharia, Tecnologia e Inovação
- T. Diamantino - INETI - Instituto Nacional de Engenharia, Tecnologia e Inovação
CitationSantos, D., Raminhos, H., Costa, M., Diamantino, T. et al., "Performance of Conductive Pre-Primers Applied on Galvanized Steel Sheets for Automotive Bodies," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1750, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1750.
- Jitsukawa M. Yamashita M. NKK Technical Review 58 72 2003
- Woodall R. “The Evolution of FrameCoat TM Electrocoat” http://www.pfonline.com/articles/ec0203.html 8 3 2004
- Goodwin F. Santos D. “Effect of lubrication and comparative formability performance of pre-primed coated automotive sheet steels” Galvanized Steel Sheet Forum, Düsseldorf Germany 30-31 May 2006
- ISO 2808 “Paints and varnishes - Determination of film thickness” ISO Geneve 1997
- EN ISO 1520 “ Paints and varnishes - Cupping test” CEN Brussels 1995
- ASTM D3170 “Standard Test Method for Chipping Resistance of Coatings” ASTM PA, USA 1996
- VDA 621-415 “Testing of Corrosion Protection of Vehicle Paint by Alternating Cycles Test” VDA Frankfurt, Germany 1982
- SEP 1160 “Evaluation of Weldable Corrosion Protection Primers for the Automotive Industry. Part 1: Corrosion Performance” Stahlinstitut VDEh Düsseldorf, Germany 2004
- ASTM B117 “Standard Practice for Operating Salt Spray (Fog) Apparatus” ASTM PA, USA 2003
- DIN 50014 “Climates and their technical application; standard atmospheres” Germany 1985
- SAE J2334 “Cosmetic Corrosion Lab Test” SAE International PA, USA 1998
- EN ISO 4628-2 “Paints and varnishes. Evaluation of degradation of coatings. Designation of quantity and size of defects, and of intensity of uniform changes in appearance - Part 2: Assessment of degree of blistering” CEN, Brussels 2003
- Almeida E. Pereira D. Figueiredo O. Prog. Org. Coat 17 175 1989
- Van Eijnsbergen J. “The Zinc Patina” Stichting Doelmating Verzinken Holland 1972
- Evans U. “The Corrosion and Oxidation of Metals” Arnold, London 1960
- Gonzalez J. Bastidas J. Rev. Iber. Corros. Prot 13 7 1982