This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Model Based Reusable and Reliable Software Validation for Functional Coverage using Virtual ECUs
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In embedded software world, development and testing are becoming far more complex with growing functionality and fail safe strategies. As a result of that, model-based software development is getting increasingly popular in capturing the functional requirements and auto generating the code from these validated models to avoid any functional deficiency. However, the complexity in the model may not be correctly interpreted by the code generation tool and may result to an incorrect code behavior. In this paper, a methodology has been proposed and implemented to validate the generated code against the models. Simulation test scripts are recorded in the modeling environment to generate the desired set of test inputs. These input scripts are designed to get complete transition and state exposure to maximize the functional coverage. With these test scripts, expected outputs are recorded for downstream validation in the simulation environment with mature models. When the virtual ECU (created from the auto generated code) executes the captured inputs, generated outputs are recorded and compared against prerecorded expected outputs. Furthermore, the same validation can be done for all future releases to make sure that the generated code integrity is maintained with each modification. It is a step forward towards bringing the virtual world ECU validation as close as possible to the real world.
CitationGautam, N. and Balanayagam, S., "Model Based Reusable and Reliable Software Validation for Functional Coverage using Virtual ECUs," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1742, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1742.
Reliability and Robust Design in Automotive Engineering, 2007
Number: SP-2119; Published: 2007-04-16
Number: SP-2119; Published: 2007-04-16
- Hermas T. Schultze A. Predelli P. “Software quality is not a coincidence: a model based test case generator” SAE 2005-01-1664 2005
- Harel D. Politi M. “Modeling reactive systems with statecharts: The STATEMATE Approach” McGraw-Hill New York, NY 1998
- Conrad M. Fey I. Sadeghipour S. “Systematic model-based testing of embedded automotive software” International workshop on Model Based Testing, co-located with ETAPS 2004 March 27 28 Barcelona, Spain 2004
- Gautam N. “A design reuse based framework for lean product development” Ph.D. dissertation, Wayne State University Dec. 2005
- Gautam N. Yadav O. P. “Model based development and auto testing: a robust approach for reliable automotive software development” SAE 2006-01-1420 2006
- Lamberg K. Beine M. Eschmann M. Otterbach R. Conrad M. Fay I. “Model-based testing of embedded automotive software using Mtest” SAE2004-01-1593 2004
- Harel D. “Statecharts: A visual formalism for complex systems” Science of Computer Programming 8 231 274 1987
- Dalal S. R. Jain A. Karunanithi N. Leaton J. M. Lott C. M. Patton G. C. Horowitz B. M. “Model-Based Testing in Practice” Proceedings of the 21 st international conference on Software engineering, Los Angeles California 285 294 1999
- Statemate and RMC product information: http://www.ilogix.com
- Simulink and Stateflow product information: http://www.mathworks.com
- Pretschner A. Lotzbeyer H. Philipps J. “Model Based Testing in Evolutionary Software Development” 12th International Workshop on Rapid System Prototyping Technische University at Munchen Germany June 2001
- Zhang Q. Harris I. G. “A Validation Fault Model for Timing-Induced Functional Errors” Proceedings International Test Conference 813 820 2001
- MxVDev product information: http://www.mrmx.com
- BullseyeCoverage product information: http://www.bullseye.com