This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Study of NOx and PM Reduction Using Urea Selective Catalytic Reduction System for Heavy Duty Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To reduce NOx and Particulate Matter (PM) emissions from a heavy-duty diesel engine, the effects of urea selective catalytic reduction (SCR) systems were studied. Proto type urea SCR system was composed of NO oxidation catalyst, SCR catalyst and ammonia (NH3) reduction catalyst. The NOx reduction performance of urea SCR system was improved by a new zeolite type catalyst and mixer for urea distribution at the steady state operating conditions. NOx and PM reduction performance of the urea SCR system with DPF was evaluated over JE05 mode of Japan. The NOx reduction efficiency of the urea SCR catalyst system was 72% at JE05 mode. The PM reduction efficiency of the urea SCR catalyst system with DPF was 93% at JE05 mode. Several kinds of un-regulated matters were detected including NH3 and N2O leak from the exhaust gas. It is necessary to have further study for detailed measurements for un-regulated emissions from urea solution.
CitationHosoya, M., Kawada, Y., Sato, S., and Shimoda, M., "The Study of NOx and PM Reduction Using Urea Selective Catalytic Reduction System for Heavy Duty Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1576, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1576.
- Toorisaka Hisaki etal. DPR Developed for Extremely Low PM Emissions in Production Commercial Vehicles SAE Paper 2004-01-0824
- Fritz Nicole etal. On-Road Demonstration of NOx emission Control for Heavy Duty Diesel Trucks with SINOx Urea SCR System SAE Paper 1999-01-0111
- Chandler etal An integrated SCR and Continuously Regenerating Trap System to Meet Future NOx and PM Legislation SAE Paper, 2000-01-0188 2000
- Hirata Kiminobu etal Development of Urea-SCR System for Heavy-Duty Commercial Vehicles SAE Paper, 2005-01-1860 2005
- Schmieg Steven J. etal Evaluation of Supplier Catalyst Formulations for the Selective Catalytic Reduction of NOx with Ammonia SAE Paper, 2005-01-3881 2005
- Koebel Manfred Etal NOx Reduction in Diesel Exhaust by Urea SCR at Low Temperatures MTZ Motortechnische Zeitschrift 63 2001 2 35 40
- Chatterjee Daneil etal Numerical Simulation of NO/NO2/NH 3 Reactions on SCR-Catalytic Converters: Model Development and Applications SAE Paper, 2006-01-0468 2006
- Sluder S.Scott etal Low Temperature Urea Decomposition and SCR Performance SAE Paper, 2005-01-1858 2005